Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] First night [and other nights]
RE: First night
Hi Doudtfire61,

Welcome to the forum, I think you have enough advice to work on for now.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead works fine on a Mac.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Night #2...
...worse than night #1.

Basically, I lasted 30 minutes at full pressure. Woke up unable to exhale...so I said to hell with it. Bad sleep is better than no sleep.

Calling doc tomorrow to change Rx to an APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Night #2...
You are not alone. Your experience is not at all abnormal. I'm going to respond to your original thread, though, as that'll help keep all your info in one spot.

I do hope your dr is helpful with problem solving. (Sure there's got to be some helpful doctors out there.) But if he/she is like most of our doctors... at least you've got this forum to help you problem solve and become successful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2018, 09:29 AM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: First night is over....

Fitted yesterday...ResMed AirSense10 and a full mask. I'm a side sleeping mouth breather...but the mask doesn't really let me do that....figures.

According to the machine I lasted 2 hours. Woke up feeling smothered...couldnt exhale with all the damn pressure even though the box is set to release pressure on exhale. Took it off and tossed it on the night stand.

Chest muscles feel tired....like when I've been coughing all day or fighting pneumonia.

Not a fan of the warm humidity...like living in the midwest in the summer...I'll be turning that down.

2.6 events per hour...guess thats good.

Masks and pillows aren't always too compatible.  I ended up buying a buckwheat " CPAP pillow" on Amazon, and it's wonderful. I can mold it around my mask, but it gives me the support I need elsewhere.

Others here are good at advice on exhaling. I haven't read all the comments yet, but I agree with the 1st couple I read about adjusting the exhale relief setting - and this can be done on your own, without a doctor.

Chest muscles tired... I experienced that too!  It lasted a couple days for me, and I haven't experienced it again since. The muscles aren't used to being used in that way, but they'll adjust quickly.

Yep - the humidity and warmth can be adjusted!  I found my sweet spot with the auto-humidity and a certain heat setting. You'll figure out yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Checked my POS  machine...only setting for exhale pressure is On and Off.

No CPAP for me tonight....I need sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night [and other nights]
So, I pounded through some more time last night. An hour when I went to bed and two more this morning. Yanked the mask when the damn machine was suffocating me at night.

Put it back on at 5:00. Got up a couple hours later...mouth wide open and completely dried out (humidifier on 4) and nose completely shut down with congestion. 3.6 AHI's

Rib pain is a lot worse this morning.

Heard back from doc, who says the provider says they cant change to APAP until I have "more time" on this...Hippocrates is rolling. Supposed to get a call today for an appointment for adjustments and a new mask.

Might just drop the damn thing off and say to heck with it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 453 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 583 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 455 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 374 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.