Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Flow Limitation and swallowing air
RE: Flow Limitation and swallowing air
(04-06-2014, 10:12 AM)Brian Rule Wrote: Hi Again Zonk

I am just getting to know a bit more about Flow limitation and it seems a bit academic to me. As far as I can understand flat topped is bad and round topped is good (but I don't understand the significance of tall and short yet - I guess tall is bad and short or none is good?). All of my Flow limitation seems to be flat topped whether it's tall or short - but it seems I can't do much about it anyway! - or have I got that wrong?

Regards

Brian

Brian. I could not "tune" out my flow limitation without making the more important AHI worst.

Greetings from across the pond,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 07:19 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(04-05-2014, 10:47 AM)Brian Rule Wrote: I wake most mornings absolutely blown up with air
There is an extensive thread entitled "Aerophagia" that may contain some useful information for you.

Hi JimZZZ
Thanks for the pointer, I had missed that one. I will now take a good look at it. I suppose it is common sense that others must have the same problem so there will doubtless be lots of good info there. Thanks a lot.

Regards

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2014, 03:03 PM)zonk Wrote: Events while awake are meaningless and discarded for true AHI value

Flow limitation (FL) are minor obstruction events, don,t meet the 10 seconds or more criteria to be scored as an apnea.
The machine raise pressure in response to FL, whats pressure stats med, 95p, max

Bloating discomfort is called aerophagia, something you need see the doc to see whether CPAP related or GERD or bit of both

Two different conditions with different approaches, increase pressure to deal with FL and decrease pressure to deal with aerophagia
(chicken and egg syndrome)

Some people find bilevel machine helps with aerophagia, higher pressure when breathe-in and much lower pressure (comfortable) when breathe-out

Hello Zonk
I don't know what went wrong; I thought I replied to you but it went to somebody else which doubtless you will have by now seen. I must have had a really bad night - though I didn't realise it!!

Anyway thanks a lot. It was really helpful.

Regards

Brian Rule
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 43 4 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 38 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 452 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 142 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 234 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.