Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Flow Limitation and swallowing air
(04-06-2014 10:12 AM)Brian Rule Wrote:  Hi Again Zonk

I am just getting to know a bit more about Flow limitation and it seems a bit academic to me. As far as I can understand flat topped is bad and round topped is good (but I don't understand the significance of tall and short yet - I guess tall is bad and short or none is good?). All of my Flow limitation seems to be flat topped whether it's tall or short - but it seems I can't do much about it anyway! - or have I got that wrong?

Regards

Brian

Brian. I could not "tune" out my flow limitation without making the more important AHI worst.

Greetings from across the pond,

Mongo

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-06-2014 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Brian Rule Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap "8 to 13
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(04-06-2014 07:19 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 10:47 AM)Brian Rule Wrote:  I wake most mornings absolutely blown up with air
There is an extensive thread entitled "Aerophagia" that may contain some useful information for you.

Hi JimZZZ
Thanks for the pointer, I had missed that one. I will now take a good look at it. I suppose it is common sense that others must have the same problem so there will doubtless be lots of good info there. Thanks a lot.

Regards

Brian
04-06-2014 12:45 PM
Brian Rule Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap "8 to 13
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(04-05-2014 03:03 PM)zonk Wrote:  Events while awake are meaningless and discarded for true AHI value

Flow limitation (FL) are minor obstruction events, don,t meet the 10 seconds or more criteria to be scored as an apnea.
The machine raise pressure in response to FL, whats pressure stats med, 95p, max

Bloating discomfort is called aerophagia, something you need see the doc to see whether CPAP related or GERD or bit of both

Two different conditions with different approaches, increase pressure to deal with FL and decrease pressure to deal with aerophagia
(chicken and egg syndrome)

Some people find bilevel machine helps with aerophagia, higher pressure when breathe-in and much lower pressure (comfortable) when breathe-out

Hello Zonk
I don't know what went wrong; I thought I replied to you but it went to somebody else which doubtless you will have by now seen. I must have had a really bad night - though I didn't realise it!!

Anyway thanks a lot. It was really helpful.

Regards

Brian Rule
04-06-2014 12:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Source of Resmed S9 EPR reverse flow whistle! neal 5 239 12-01-2016 07:22 PM
Last Post: klv329
  Flow Rate Interpretation nadprok 2 218 11-13-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: nadprok
  [Equipment] Modding Resmed FX pillow mask, no turbo air flow DaveDog 9 347 10-23-2016 08:09 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question Difficulty swallowing and singing giftofsleep 6 423 09-29-2016 05:23 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Any way to determine REM sleep from Flow Rate? Roy289 18 1,133 08-31-2016 10:35 AM
Last Post: o1bob037
  Bizarre Sleepyhead Reading for Flow Limitation holden4th 7 466 07-24-2016 01:58 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it? Snurkel 2 319 07-23-2016 08:04 AM
Last Post: Snurkel