Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Flow Limitations, a problem or not?
Flow Limitations, a problem or not?
OK, now I have the right place..oh boy.... Cool

For the last few months my therapy has not been working well, at least I think its the therapy...
I was reading about flow limitation and how they can cause issues, wondering if that is what is happening to me...
Below is a typical night: Min EPAP 5, Max 6, PS 1-6 and then a night with no events...
[Image: j1s6M9Pm.png]

[Image: sCZ8NNrm.png]

I changed my settings a bit last night: Min EPAP 5, Max 6, PS 2-9 just to see if it made any difference:

[Image: g06Gp5Mm.png]

Is this something I need to change, could these limitations be the cause of my fogginess, and fatigue??

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Limitations, a problem or not?
I believe if you have a lot of flow limitations it does disrupt your sleep. After looking at your past threads and having no clue about ASV settings I'm sorry to say I have no answers. The good news is there are others here that do.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
StoryWiz, can you grab a closeup of the flow rate during flow limitation? Are those respirations flat-topped or downward sloping? I see the flow limit graph is pegged.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here you go:

[Image: 5dZocyc.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
a nasty one:

[Image: 4YaWQny.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry about the full size images, here is one more...

[Image: Zaf4NUCm.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider: did you mean to say the Pressure graph was pegged?  I seem to remember someone (maybe you) mentioning that Resmed flow limits over .4 might warrant be looked at.  If so, flow limits might not be as messy as they look, y/n?

ct
Post Reply Post Reply
In the graphs you posted, there are flow limited breaths in each of the charts. Nothing very severe in any case, and they don't align well with the FL event flag. The machine is flagging breaths that hesitate, as shown by a double peak, or more truely flat-topped and downward sloping inhales. In all cases, the flow rate is relatively low, but I think that has been typical for you. Generally flow limited breaths occur when IPAP has dropped back.

You seem to be getting pretty good results, but your machine is extremely active offsetting centrals, hypopnea and flow limited breaths. Have you tried increased EPAP? Using ASVauto? Since you did not include the left column I can't see machine settings, but the machine is raising EPAP pressure through this sequence, and maybe a higher EPAP minimum might help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here you go...:-)

[Image: 2iPmigIm.png]

I will increase EPAP maybe 1cm tonight??
S
[url=https://imgur.com/2iPmigI][/url]
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good, and give the max IPAP another 1 cm to move.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 716 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 361 6 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 72 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 293 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 268 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 185 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,762 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.