Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Flow number
Flow number
Why was 11 chosen as my constant pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow number
(01-12-2014, 08:54 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: Why was 11 chosen as my constant pressure.
That is how determined at the sleep study (titration)
This might help - titration protocol for CPAP ... page 7
http://www.sleepapnea.com/downloads/1002...fGuide.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2014, 08:54 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: Why was 11 chosen as my constant pressure.

That's the minimum pressure needed to keep your airway from collapsing.

It's important that you keep an eye on your data to verify that 11 cm H2O really is the correct pressure for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have reset it to 10.6 for two days now due to a lot of leaks. No help and will now try 10.
There were no increase in apnea events so I'll keep trying less and less pressure to get under the 24 red line.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried different masks to remedy the leak issue? Why are you using a full face mask instead of a nasal mask? Nasal masks are less prone to leakage.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2014, 09:51 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: I have reset it to 10.6 for two days now due to a lot of leaks. No help and will now try 10.
There were no increase in apnea events so I'll keep trying less and less pressure to get under the 24 red line.

Hi Bladskinner,

During sleep studies the techs are instructed to have you sleep some or all of the time on your back (supine position), because that is usually the worst (needs the highest pressure) and they do not want to miss the worst case.

If you normally never sleep on your back your pressure needs normally will likely be lower than during the titration study.

To lessen my overall pressure needs, I sleep in a teeshirt with a tennis ball in a pocket sewn between my shoulder blades or higher, to be sure I do roll over onto my back while sleeping and stay there for any length of time.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lowering the pressure is not the answer, 11 is not that terribly high. I would try figure out the reason of the leaks. For example, mask wrong size, not fitting correctly as per user instructions, dirty cushion or even worn out need replacing, fitting the mask at Ramp lower start pressure is not a good idea, would leak as pressure ramp to treatment pressure. Its always best to fit the mask while in your normal sleeping position

Post Reply Post Reply
Yea I always sleep on my side, but do tos and turn all night. I have tried pillows but they make my nostrils feel like there burning so can't use them. Nasal mask probably won't work unless I shave my mustache. Which I have not done in 35 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people find a mask liner helps. Have you tried chinstrap, I don,t have a mustache but don,t shave every day and use Activa LT nasal mask (recommended for active sleepers) and chinstrap worn over the mask, the chinstrap also helps keeping the mask in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2014, 11:13 PM)zonk Wrote: Some people find a mask liner helps. Have you tried chinstrap, I don,t have a mustache but don,t shave every day and use Activa LT nasal mask (recommended for active sleepers) and chinstrap worn over the mask, the chinstrap also helps keeping the mask in place.

Why the activa?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 228 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 27 2 hours ago
Last Post: ahuman
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.