Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Fragmented sleep all night
Fragmented sleep all night
I would be most appreciative if someone could help me with my fragmented sleep
at night.  I'm not taking any medications for sleep.  Here is the machine I'm on:

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO

Settings:

VAuto mode
Min EPAP 12
Max IPAP 20
Pressure Support 4
Ti Max 2
Ti Min .3
Trigger Medium
Cycle    Medium
ResMed Medium Quattro Full Face Mask
Auto Climate Control

The problem is that my respiratory rate is about 15 BPM for about an hour then the rate increases to about 20 and is very erratic for about 20-30 minutes and then I wake up.  This happens from 6-8 times each night which wrecks my sleep.  The problem is that this often happens when there are no leaks, no flow limitations, no detected apneas and the pressure range is still 12-16.  When there is clearly an apnea or flow limitation the pressure range increases to 14-18 and sometimes this restores normal flow but often it does not work and I wake up.  I think that after about an hour the muscles supporting the tongue have completely relaxed which results in partial or complete blockage. Are any of the settings wrong and if so what should be changed?  I know the Min EPAP and Max IPAP could be increased but this might just cause more leaks. Thanks for any help you can provide.  If needed I could supply some data after I figure out how to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fragmented sleep all night
It would help if you could download sleepyhead software and posted a chart. The links are below. Normally if there if there is some blockage it would show up as flow limitations and that would trigger a pressure increase. It sounds like you may be dreaming during the REM stage of your sleep and it's causing the increase breathing. But just guessing without anything to go on.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The most useful data, and easiest to post would come from #Sleepyhead. Organizing and attachment instructions are in my signature.

From your description, I think slowly raising pressure support may suppress flow limitations. It seems your apnea rate is low, and you don't say if events are obstructive or clear airway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a little lost in how to post a Sleepyhead image. I will try to do that a little later.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=9173]

As you can tell I'm new to the Sleep Apnea Board.  Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job on the chart. Nothing stands out as being related to the therapy breaks, and AHI is very low. My impression is your pressure may be higher than you need, and could see you dropping EPAP min to 9.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input from you and the Advisory Member.  I really appreciate it because I just
couldn't understand what was going on.  I did some checking and as you mentioned REM sleep
(where most of your dreaming occurs) does raise heart rate and respiration rate.  Every
time I wake up I usually have a strong memory of a dream and it could be that since I'm
close to waking up at the end of a REM cycle the pressure, which may be too high, just
brings me to being full awake.  I will try lowering the pressure and see what happens.
Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to be fairly common with later-in-life sleepers that they awaken after a dream.  This also takes place late in a position of repose that has lasted for as much as an hour without a turn-over.  So, there might be some discomfort, or sleeping limb syndrome, creeping in and becoming annoying enough that we don't really complete the dream to the extent the story could run, but we awaken, turn over, head to the John, go get a glass of water, let the dog out...whatever needs doing.

I have always dreamt, even prior to the discovery that I have severe apnea.  But I seldom remembered them unless I had one just prior to the six-hour point which is about where I would awaken naturally.  Now, undergoing therapy, I dream more, almost much more, and I do sometimes awaken.  Fortunately, if it's prior to 0300, I can go back to sleep.

Anyway, this isn't about me...I just wanted to let you know that what you are experiencing is not all that uncommon generally as we age, and that quite a few people complain about this problem early in their PAP therapy, probably because the slightest little thing can vex us and make it seem as if PAP is what is to blame since it is the most salient 'thing' in our health lives in the early months.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input.  You are probably right that all sleeping problems are
not necessarily connected to APAP machines.  Aging, no doubt, plays a role.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Fragmented sleep - AirSense 11 vs. 10 skydoc01 3 209 03-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Surprised 20 minutes recorded for full night's sleep Deborah K. 10 595 01-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Can't get a good night sleep no matter what. Please help mrsleepyhead2001 1 406 11-24-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Fragmented REM or Aerophagia on Bi-Level jrcifani5005 12 1,057 11-06-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.