Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Friedman Tongue Position
Friedman Tongue Position
Firstly, hey. I'm David. I've been struggling with sleep issues and accompanying depression and fatigue for over a decade now. I've only recently began the journey of trying to fix my problem.

From a sleep study I did, I'm at an RDI of 10.8 and have fragmented sleep. I use a cpap nightly and have recently added a molded MAD device I got from Amazon. These help, but by far do not fix my bad sleep.

I have recently been informed by a maxillary oral surgeon I met for a consultation with that my Friedman tongue position is a level 3-4 - my tongue blocks view of my entire airway when looking in my mouth. You may only see the roof of my mouth and a bit of my soft palate when looking. 

I'm wondering if there is somebody here that had a similar tongue position and underwent surgery. If so, which one, and was it effective? 

I realize this may not be the best place to ask, as this is a cpap oriented forum and if somebody had a successful UPPP or otherwise surgical procedure, well, he wouldn't attend this forum since his problem would be fixed... But I decided it couldn't do any harm, besides a few minutes spent on writing this post.

Thank you for helping me. 

General information:
Not overweight, in my early 20's, tired all the time, feel a choking sensation or gasp nightly through my nose or mouth. Feels like the problem is my soft palate or base of tongue - something at the connection between mouth and airway.
Considering - maxillary expansion, uppp and similar throat surgeries. Also a Drug Induced Sleep Endoscopy is something I'm very interested in.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Friedman Tongue Position
This is an apnea forum in general, no matter the cause. 

I had modified-UPPP. It helped me take my cpap therapy under control and also lower the required maximum pressure. I am happy with the result and I plan to redo the palate part of UPPP again in the next few years. UPPP statistically won't cure your sleep apnea, but it will make a cpap therapy more bearable.

As for the tongue I don't know much about that.

We can't fix your issue surgically but we can help you with setting up your S10 for Her correctly. Download OSCAR from the download section and post some charts so we can have a look at where you stand.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Friedman Tongue Position
(05-14-2019, 04:45 AM)Cantbreath95 Wrote: I have recently been informed by a maxillary oral surgeon I met for a consultation with that my Friedman tongue position is a level 3-4 - my tongue blocks view of my entire airway when looking in my mouth. You may only see the roof of my mouth and a bit of my soft palate when looking.

Hey David. I am in a similar situation.
My Friedman tongue position is a level 4.
Are you still around? And did you get any solution for your problem?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 94 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Idea [Treatment] POSAS (Position dependant OSAS) A KLERK 6 1,580 02-03-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.