Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Getting used to the Mask
Getting used to the Mask
I have a question for everyone. I was recently diagnosed and was given the AirSense 10 Autoset with a full face mask last week. It has been 6 days and I'm still trying to get used to everything and the AirSense 10 Autoset records usage Hrs., mask seal, events per hour, and how many times you take your mask on or off in the night. It then gives you a sleep score on how well you slept. My question is how do I accurately get the score? The thing showed I scored a 99 last night so should have slept really well. I know I didn't though because even though the other numbers were good it didn't take into account how many times I woke because I'm trying to get used to the mask/hose ect. Also how long does it take to get used to it all? Thanks for any input and advice. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting used to the Mask
I take it you're using MyAir since you reported a score of 99%. MyAir is the equivalent of the "Check Engine" light on the car. I know some people really like it and that's fine. If you want to dig deeper into what is going on you have to read the data on the SD card. Either through ResScan or SleepyHead. Recommend Sleepyhead.

Check around for the thread. Should be at the top. Will have a link and plenty of information in the thread on how to use it.

As for getting used to the mask - It's different for each person. Some right away, some a couple of months, some are still trying to find the right one.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GoEagle5,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
To get used to your mask and machine, you might try wearing the mask and using the machine as you set up during the evening reading or watching tv and see if that helps.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2015, 11:13 AM)GoEagle5 Wrote: didn't take into account how many times I woke because I'm trying to get used to the mask/hose ect. Also how long does it take to get used to it all? Thanks for any input and advice. Thanks

I never got used to my full face mask. You might like something like the Resmed P10 or Respironics Nuance nasal pillow mask.

Aside from anything else, it has a very small flexible short hose that connects to the regular hose, so you're not always wrestling with it.

Your equipment provider probably has a 30 day return policy, so if you don't like it, bring it back sooner rather than later.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there! It can take awhile to get used to everything. It's all new and your brain needs to adjust to it. I am sure you will be fine...in a few weeks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GoEagle,

I guess I am lucky. During my career as a chemist I was required to wear cartridge respirators, full face respirator (cartridge and supplied air) and at times what we called a space suit for very hazardous situations. By the second night, I found the FP Simplus Full fairly comfortable. Like others have mentioned, wear it some during the day to help with getting adapted to the mask. Practice makes perfect. Wink

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2015, 11:13 AM)GoEagle5 Wrote: It has been 6 days and I'm still trying to get used to everything and the AirSense 10 Autoset records usage Hrs., mask seal, events per hour, and how many times you take your mask on or off in the night. It then gives you a sleep score on how well you slept. My question is how do I accurately get the score? The thing showed I scored a 99 last night so should have slept really well. I know I didn't though because even though the other numbers were good it didn't take into account how many times I woke because I'm trying to get used to the mask/hose ect.

No one number can tell you how effective your therapy is, much less how well you slept.

First is compliance. Are you wearing your mask all the time you're asleep every time you sleep? Even for naps. That's more important than anything else because otherwise you'll never get used to it.

Second is leaks. You have to use software on your computer to look at your leak graph and make sure you're not spending significant stretches of time in large leak. If your machine's display tells you you're leaking too much, then you know you are. But if it tells you you're not it can't be trusted, you have to check with software.

Third is as close as you can get to that magic number you're looking for, the AHI. It will tell you if your therapy is effective. We like to see it below 5. It's the average number of events per hour. But you have to be 100% compliant and have your leaks under control before it means anything.

Quote:Also how long does it take to get used to it all?

That is the question. It's a spectrum. Some people take two minutes, they're asleep, and they wake up 10 hours later feeling 10 years younger. That's not me, and it's not you. Sorry. They say it can take up to three months before you start feeling the positive effects. For me it took about a month before the mask and air pressure's waking me up were outweighed by the benefits of being able to breathe while sleeping. In the first week or so I did notice on rare occasions that I'd wake with a feeling that I'd at least gotten some deep sleep. As the weeks went by it became less and less rare. It's a journey, though, so you just have to stay with it and hope for the best. Eventually you'll get there. Meanwhile keep in mind that the alternative is a miserable sleep-deprived life shortened by heart attack or stroke. That was what helped me.

One night you'll wake up and wonder if the machine is on because you've gotten so used to it you don't notice it anymore. The human body has an amazing ability to adapt.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,215 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,833 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,531 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.