Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Treatment Going TOO Well??
Treatment Going TOO Well??
So my sleep study said my AHI was 57. I read over and over how hard it is to get good results in APAP/CPAP treatment, and so I'm wondering if something is wrong because things are going well. Maybe too well.

My first night on my APAP, my AHI was .6, with pressure averaging like, 7.

Second night, my AHI was 1, again with pressure hanging around 7.

Last night, my AHI was .3, again with very low pressure.

Is this normal? I'm starting to wonder if my sleep study records got mixed up because this seems too good to be true, and with pressure this low. I expected I'd have to do a lot of tweaking to get results like this, and figured in a prescribed range of 5-20, my average pressure would be higher.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Treatment Going TOO Well??
I would be happy with the results you are stating.  You could post your detailed Sleepyhead charts and we could say if something that needs looking into catches our eye.

I doubt we would see anything.

The real question with those numbers is how do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Andyman,
Your going to make a lot of folk jealous with those numbers, especially with such a wide open pressure range.

It would be interesting to see your sleep study numbers. As long as you feel rested, I would just enjoy that your therapy is going well.

Take the time to update your profile as this is the first place we look to see what machine, mask, etc. that you are using.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose, I updated my profile, thanks for the tip!
bonjour, should I post it as a screenshot?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2018, 11:55 AM)Andyman Wrote: OpalRose, I updated my profile, thanks for the tip!
bonjour, should I post it as a screenshot?

Thanks!

Yes attach as a screenshot to this thread
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the sleep study report:

Standard Polysomnogram 

Indication for Study: Obstructive Sleep Apnea 

Procedure: Standard Level I Polysomnogram. This is a nocturnal polysomnogram recording performed 
with the Grass Technologies Comet system which is a 40-channel digital polygraph. The test consists of 
2 electro-oculogram channels, 6 electroencephalogram channels, and 3 electromyogram channels to look 
at the submental chin, right and left anterior tibialis, electrocardiogram, nasal thermocouple for nasal/oral 
airflow, a pressure transducer to look at nasal/oral pressure, chest and abdominal bands for respiratory 
effort and a finger probe oximeter for oxygen saturation. 

Interpretation : 
The patient slept for 287.5 minutes out of 455.5 minutes in bed with a decreased sleep efficiency
of 63.12. Sleep latency was increased at 69 minutes. A total of 155 arousals were noted with an Arousal
Index of 32.3. A review of the sleep architecture revealed a 28.0% stage N1 sleep, 57.4% stage N2 
sleep, 11.7% stage N3 sleep and 3.0% REM sleep. There were no clinically significant cardiac 
arrhythmias. Review of the limb movements revealed a Periodic Limb Movement Count: 0, Periodic Limb 
Movement Index: 0, Periodic Limb Movement Arousal Index: 0.0. Review of the respiratory channels 
revealed a total of 7 apneas and 264 hypopneas throughout the study with an apnea / hypopnea index of 56.6 events per hour of sleep. These events were associated with moderate sleep fragmentations and 
moderate oxyhemoglobin desaturations with a mean of 93.4% and a nadir of 83%. 

Impression: 
Severe Obstructive Sleep apnea Syndrome 

Recommendation: 
A trial of nasal CPAP is recommended for this degree of obstructive sleep apnea. The patient will require 
a CPAP titration study to evaluate the amount of pressure required to overcome these upper airway 
obstructive events. Weight, loss sleep hygiene measures and positional therapy with avoiding supine 
position are also helpful in addition to primary therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost all of the events were hypopneas so it makes sense a low pressure was sufficient.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also get low AHI under 1 with pressures in range IPAP 8-10 EPAP 5-7, but I still feel sick. I use IPAP 17 EPAP 10 with a Full face mask and get AHI under 5, its only when im on this pressure I feel rested and not sick.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some SleepyHead screenshots, let me know if more would be helpful. I posted a screencap of last night as well as statistics.

As for how I feel, it's hard to say because I've had treatment for less than a week - I think I feel more rested, but I'm also working against a huge sleep deficit. I feel a little more clear-headed, and a little more patient, but I'm hoping it's because the treatment is working and not because I think I should feel that way!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
My OSA wasn't that severe. But then again, my life symptoms sure were.

Treated, my AHI is about as low as yours, and I feel great!

Nothing wrong with that!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 145 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 635 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] TiredFGO - Treatment Thread TiredFGO 1 127 03-30-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 145 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 168 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.