Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] HOW TO USE MY MACHINE
HOW TO USE MY MACHINE
Hi, I have just bought my machine from an individual and am trying to decide on using it. About 2-3 years ago I wen to an overnight sleep diagnosis and was told that I had (chronid, advanced, ??) apnea. They wanted me to come back for another overnight session for a fitting. It had already cost my insurance so much that I just did not want to add another $3-4,000. However, I have had such a hard time sleeping that I need to do something. I have just bought the ResMed S9 vpap s system from an individual. I have set the mode for "S", the IPAP for 8, EPAP for 3, easy breath "ON", TI Max=2, TI Min= 0.3, trigger = "med", and Cycle = "med". My problem is that I don't know whether or not to start using it. My bet is that this question has been asked over and over, and I apoligize for it; however, I just was not able to find any information. Could anyone help? ----- Tnanks much, Frank Propst
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HOW TO USE MY MACHINE
Hi fmpropst,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, someone will be able to help you soon.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 03:03 PM)fmpropst Wrote: Hi, I have just bought my machine from an individual and am trying to decide on using it. About 2-3 years ago I wen to an overnight sleep diagnosis and was told that I had (chronid, advanced, ??) apnea. They wanted me to come back for another overnight session for a fitting. It had already cost my insurance so much that I just did not want to add another $3-4,000. However, I have had such a hard time sleeping that I need to do something. I have just bought the ResMed S9 vpap s system from an individual. I have set the mode for "S", the IPAP for 8, EPAP for 3, easy breath "ON", TI Max=2, TI Min= 0.3, trigger = "med", and Cycle = "med". My problem is that I don't know whether or not to start using it. My bet is that this question has been asked over and over, and I apoligize for it; however, I just was not able to find any information. Could anyone help? ----- Tnanks much, Frank Propst
The machine you have is not as helpful as a S9 Autoset or S9 VPAP Auto as far as providing information to allow you to self titrate (determine the correct settings). Hopefully the machine was not very expensive. It is possible to achieve the goal, but more trial and error steps are necessary. Do you have an appropriately sized mask? Do you have access to a PC you can load software on to monitor your therapy? Did the machine come with the SD card installed in the back or is it missing?

If I were in your shoes and had that machine and a PC (or Mac), I would probably take it for a test drive. With the mask and your suggested settings I would see that I was comfortable using it while watching TV. Masks are a very individual preference. What works for me may not for you. If your mask is what came with the machine, the chances that it is perfect for you are pretty low. But if you can tolerate using it for 30 minutes while awake, then I would take it to bed. Once you have gotten to sleep with it on for at least four hours we can begin looking at the data generated and assist you with the next step. If you can't get to sleep with it, tell us why? Too many leaks, not enough air...

These are my opinions of how I would handle the situation for myself, this is not medical advise.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 06:03 PM)STL Mark Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 03:03 PM)fmpropst Wrote: Hi, I have just bought my machine from an individual and am trying to decide on using it. About 2-3 years ago I wen to an overnight sleep diagnosis and was told that I had (chronid, advanced, ??) apnea. They wanted me to come back for another overnight session for a fitting. It had already cost my insurance so much that I just did not want to add another $3-4,000. However, I have had such a hard time sleeping that I need to do something. I have just bought the ResMed S9 vpap s system from an individual. I have set the mode for "S", the IPAP for 8, EPAP for 3, easy breath "ON", TI Max=2, TI Min= 0.3, trigger = "med", and Cycle = "med". My problem is that I don't know whether or not to start using it. My bet is that this question has been asked over and over, and I apoligize for it; however, I just was not able to find any information. Could anyone help? ----- Tnanks much, Frank Propst
The machine you have is not as helpful as a S9 Autoset or S9 VPAP Auto as far as providing information to allow you to self titrate (determine the correct settings). Hopefully the machine was not very expensive. It is possible to achieve the goal, but more trial and error steps are necessary. Do you have an appropriately sized mask? Do you have access to a PC you can load software on to monitor your therapy? Did the machine come with the SD card installed in the back or is it missing?

If I were in your shoes and had that machine and a PC (or Mac), I would probably take it for a test drive. With the mask and your suggested settings I would see that I was comfortable using it while watching TV. Masks are a very individual preference. What works for me may not for you. If your mask is what came with the machine, the chances that it is perfect for you are pretty low. But if you can tolerate using it for 30 minutes while awake, then I would take it to bed. Once you have gotten to sleep with it on for at least four hours we can begin looking at the data generated and assist you with the next step. If you can't get to sleep with it, tell us why? Too many leaks, not enough air...

These are my opinions of how I would handle the situation for myself, this is not medical advise.
Thanks so much. I will do exactly that. The mask seems ok - at least the mask test shows ok. Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I don't think that my effort to reply was done properly. I used the system for about an hour (in front of the TV). When i got up, I was a bit dizzy and light-headed. This unit does have an SD card installed, and I have downloaded and installed the ResScan software, but I have not figured out yet how to transfer data from the SD to my PC. Since I did experience a bit of dizziness, I think that I won't try it in bed for several hours just yet. Thanks very much again for your reply. Frank Propst
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you downloaded the clinical guide for your machine yet? If not click CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of this page or in this thread and follow the instructions to get it.

If you had a negative reaction during the TV test you are wise to not proceed. Unless you can explain this occurrence based on past medical history, I would talk with a doctor. Once you have that under control feel free to let us know how things are progressing on future tests.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regardless of your status with the insurance company, you'd be better off going to your sleep doc/therapist and finding out what settings you should be using. You pay insurance premiums for the sole purpose of having the coverage you need to live. Self-'medication' in this endeavor is not advisable!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 03:03 PM)fmpropst Wrote: [font=Arial][size=medium]I have set the mode for "S", the IPAP for 8, EPAP for 3, easy breath "ON", TI Max=2, TI Min= 0.3, trigger = "med", and Cycle = "med".

(08-23-2013, 08:39 PM)fmpropst Wrote: I used the system for about an hour (in front of the TV). When i got up, I was a bit dizzy and light-headed. This unit does have an SD card installed, and I have downloaded and installed the ResScan software, but I have not figured out yet how to transfer data from the SD to my PC. Since I did experience a bit of dizziness, I think that I won't try it in bed for several hours just yet.

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum!

If your computer does not have a built-in memory card reader, you can buy one for about $10 at home electronics stores (or department stores like Walmart). It would plug into any USB port on your computer, and can be any card reader which can accept at least standard size (full size) SD memory cards. Even the cheapest one you find will likely be able to do this.

On the computer, I would plug in the SD card before starting up ResScan or SleepyHead software.

If you were dizzy, I suggest it was probably from hyperventilation caused by not being accustomed to the difference between EPAP and IPAP being as high as 5.

I would try again while watching TV, with the difference between EPAP and IPAP only 1 or 2 (initially). I think most people would eventually prefer IPAP to be higher than EPAP by somewhere between 2 to 5 cmH2O, but it may take some time to get used to it. The difference may be increased slowly (such as increasing or decreasing only 1 cmH2O per week).

An EPAP of only 3 is so low that I think it would be highly unlikely to prevent obstructive apneas. I would choose 6 to start with, and would monitor the SD card data to see how many obstructive apneas were occurring. Increasing EPAP helps to prevent obstructive apneas. Increasing how much higher IPAP is than EPAP can make it more comfortable.

If you can afford to get proper medical advice from a professional, of course that would be best.

If I were in your position and wanted to try again on my own, I would try (first while watching TV):
Mode "S", IPAP 7 or 8, EPAP 6, easy breath "ON", Ti Max=2 (default), Ti Min= 0.3 (default), trigger = "med" (default), and Cycle = "med" (default).

I trust you have already requested and received the clinician guide for your machine. It has explanations of all settings and lists their default values. The instructions for requesting the clinician guide are given in the Important Threads section of the forum.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much to all for the responses. It may be just be an idiosyncrasy of my PC, but I thought that it might be of interest. When I plugged the SD card into the reader slot on my PC, it bombed the machine (several times). I finally found my reader, plugged it into an USC slot, and inserted the SD card into the reader. Voila! It worked perfectly, and ResScan sensed and read the card.

Has anyone had experience with the online home sleep tests? Do they only test or do they suggest treatment parameters?

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,129 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,248 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.