Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Help With Understanding Oscar / Bipap Settings
Help With Understanding Oscar / Bipap Settings
Hello - I have been trying to improve my settings with Oscar, watched a lot of videos on youtube and read up as much as I could but still am unsure how to use my data to adjust my settings. 

I have included screenshots below, but am not sure what other information is needed for some guidance. I am using a Resmed Aircurve 10 ST with a full face mask. Pressure is 12, EPAP is 8 and backup rate is 10.

Original diagnosis was an AHI in the 30s, now it is listed in the 6.5 range on average but I am still feeling very fatigued during the day and am hoping to get this lower. Apologies if this type of post is not allowed. thank you in advance for any help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help With Understanding Oscar / Bipap Settings
This is exactly the type of post we encourage on ApneaBoard. The board was created to help CPAP users get the best results from their therapy.

I'm a simple APAP user (simple APAP? simple user?) but what I lave learned is that OA are controlled with EPAP, and hypopnea are controlled with pressure support. (in the absense of centrals, of course.)

You have zero OA, but many UA. The one UA you have shown us doesn't look like it's an OA wannbe, rather an H hopeful. If the other UA are similar, I would suggest you reduce your EPAP by 1.0 cmw and try it for several days (one day is not a trend). If you don't get any OA and no more UA, and your hypopnea go down, your are on the right track, and could reduce EPAP by another 1.0 cmw. When you start getting OA, stop and increase your EPAP by 0.4 or 0.6 cmw.

The point here is that most people are more comfortable with a lower EPAP - as long as the OA are controlled - and lowering your epap while leaving IPAP untouched automatically gives you more pressure support to contolled the hypopnea.

That's how I would do it if I had a bilevel - perhaps someone more knowledgeable will come along to confirm or correct my ideas.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, thank you so much for your help! I was able to use your advice last night (or at least I think I made the necessary changes) and my AHI improved to below 1 for the first night since starting treatment. Screenshots included for details. Thank you again! Please let me know if I made the right adjustments or if I was mistaken.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Pholynyk gave you some great advice there. Remarkable improvement in the numbers. (You reduced your EPAP by more than he suggested, but given the outcome, I'd leave it alone for now.) I see you also slept longer, or at least used the machine longer.

Are you feeling better today? While optimizing settings is largely data-driven, how you feel is also a key part of what should guide optimization.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2022, 12:40 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Pholynyk gave you some great advice there.  Remarkable improvement in the numbers.  (You reduced your EPAP by more than he suggested, but given the outcome, I'd leave it alone for now.)  I see you also slept longer, or at least used the machine longer.  

Are you feeling better today?  While optimizing settings is largely data-driven, how you feel is also a key part of what should guide optimization.

I realized I made the EPAP lower after going through this morning, but like you said it seemed to have worked out well so I will leave for now.

I do think I feel better and more rested than normal today, so I will continue with these settings and monitor things as I use them more. Will update!

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated, I am very open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like you made the changes correctly, and it looks like it helped. The UAs and Hs look like they seem to be more obstructive than central, and I'm not sure it could get much better. The flow pattern - both inhale and exhale - looks spiky to me rather than smooth, but I don't know what could be done. If you are sleeping well, it probalby doesn't matter.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everything else looks good to me. I'm glad you're feeling better today; fingers crossed you'll see an improving trend.

The one thing I note is that you had rather different bedtimes and rising times for the two nights you posted. It might be worth reviewing these guidelines to better sleep. I thought they were vanilla and didn't take them seriously at first. Then out of desperation I did, and following them actually helped.

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 80 3,261 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 202 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 127 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 486 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 205 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,153 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 440 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.