Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Hey everyone! Wanted to get some opinions on my OSCAR data, if possible. UARS/OSA
Hey everyone! Wanted to get some opinions on my OSCAR data, if possible. UARS/OSA
Hey! I was diagnosed quite mild OSA, and I have a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset but I believe I may actually have UARS and not OSA. I have significant inferior turbinate hypertrophy in both nostrils and a deviated septum. Whenever I lay down and go to sleep, I wake up at least one of my nostrils blocked and the other one not open all the way which makes me wonder how I was able to breathe when I was sleeping. I initially got a home sleep study because I was and still remain tired and drowsy all day after getting more than enough sleep.

The AHI was about 7 but I don't believe the sleep study was all that accurate imo because I hardly slept and the data showed central apneas while I was definitely awake so I believe that number is inflated. If someone would be so kind as to go through my OSCAR data from last night and let me know if they can see anything that could point to UARS or some setttings I could change I would be very grateful to them. I'm at my wit's end as to what I should do to get my life back, I have tried going through the data myself but could not form a good understanding of it. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hey everyone! Wanted to get some opinions on my OSCAR data, if possible. UARS/OSA
You are using settings of 9.0 to 13.0 with EPR 3 on your Airsense 10 Autoset with good results. There is a cluster of obstruction at the beginning of the night and a few widely spaced events randomly later. Your leak rate is more than acceptable and your chart and summary suggests that flow limitations are very low. Flow limitation is where we expect to see UARS show up, and you essentially have none. You could review the flow rate chart in a zoomed view to see if there is significant flattening of the inspiratory peak, which is what happens when airflow is restricted by the upper airway.

I don't doubt you have some nasal issues, but they are not manifesting in your CPAP results. If you can tolerate nasal therapy, the use of nasal pillows actually can help to open your airway and nasal passages. Lots of new users find it surprising that their chronic congestion can accommodate nasal therapy. I'm one of them, but have used a nasal pillows mask beginning very early in my therapy experience. The air pressurizes and opens the nasal passages and makes nasal breathing very natural and comfortable. I spend much of my day breathing through my mouth, but looks forward to putting on my Airfit P10 mask at night and breathing without a problem. You might find moving from a full face mask to nasal pillows does the same for you.

On future charts, please minimize the daily calendar by clicking the triangle in the date line. There is useful information in the left column that is not available when that calendar is full size.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hey everyone! Wanted to get some opinions on my OSCAR data, if possible. UARS/OSA
A couple of questions. Do you have a copy of your sleep study? If so, could you blank out the personal information and post a scan of it? Also, have you discussed surgery with an ENT doctor for the enlarged turbinates and the deviated septum?

By the way, unless the home sleep study had an EEG element, the data can only provide indirect evidence about whether you were awake or asleep. In general, these studies do a pretty good job, but it wouldn't be terribly surprising if a period of wakefulness were mis-classified. But the other possibility is that you were actually in a light sleep, but with some awareness of your surroundings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Sleeprider! Thank you for the detailed response, I went through the flow rate curve and the inspiratory peak seemed a little flat in some curves but didn't seem too over the top either so it could just be normal, I'd love to get your opinion on it. I've been thinking about nasal pillows for a little bit now and might finally take the plunge now, I don't find the FFM all that comfortable, to be honest.  Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I sure can! I've read quite a few accounts of people suffering from ENS after turbinate reduction which is why I'm not as keen on it. My sleep study was done with a Philips machine, and they did have wires on my head (I think that's the EEG part?) but it definitely took me a couple of hours to fall asleep and I didn't get a lot of sleep and all the central apnea's on the graph were clustered at the start of the study which is why I didn't think they were right.

Sleep study: https://imgur.com/a/OqVJHyM
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you did have EEG measurement for your sleep study, so you were probably in a light sleep during the time you felt you were awake.

Your CAs occurred during your first period of light sleep. Sometimes during the handoff between waking and sleeping, the neurochemical systems have some hiccups resulting in sleep-transition CAs. That might be part of what was going on with the centrals.

Your apnea index was 3.3, and your hypopnea index was 5.7. Obstructive apneas predominated. You had a fair number of spontaneous arousals, i.e., arousals that didn't follow an apnea, hypopnea, or respiratory effort.

Something that is striking to me is that although your total recording time was over 9 hours, you had only one period of REM sleep. It was quite long, giving you 18% for the night (around 20-25% is normal), but REM usually occurs at intervals during the night, with shorter periods toward the beginning of the night and longer periods at the end. I don't know what to make of this, and you might want to ask your sleep doctor to comment.

Those spontaneous arousals occurred off and on all night. If you continue to have them, they will certainly contribute to poor sleep. Do you or a bed partner know whether you move your legs around a fair amount while you sleep? I'm wondering about restless leg syndrome or periodic limb movements. If they are present, sometimes medication can help.

The zoomed-in views show a little bit of flow limitation, but to my eye nothing striking. (In addition to flat tops, dents and sharp peaks may indicate FLs.)

That's all pretty long-winded, but I guess the two things you might want to follow up on are your sleep "architecture" and possible leg movement issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dormeo that I don't see flow limitation that is beyond what we normally expect in anyone, so no reason to address that further. I'm impressed that your central events are not higher with your sleep study results showing so many. Not sure why you are using a 20 minute ramp from 8.0. That is very close to your minimum pressure, so watch for events that may occur in that ramp time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OSCAR Technology - Install & Data Aquisition Details EasySleep 3 72 2 hours ago
Last Post: EasySleep
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 819 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: gzaw
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 0 53 Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Last Post: givememyusername
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 447 03-17-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 50 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
Sad Can someone help me analyze my OSCAR data? senseisaitama 3 139 03-15-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: senseisaitama
  How does my OSCAR data look? gohoos1998 1 80 03-15-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.