Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] How do I stop periodic breathing???
Some may think I'm nuts but masks can bring on PB CA.

I have quit my new Dreamwear mask entiy because of that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2017, 08:26 PM)archangle Wrote: Both of you need to quit being so panicked by CA and periodic breathing. Unless you have a high AHI, or individual CA's are really long, it's not a lot more harmful than obstructive apnea.

Your body doesn't care a lot whether you are deprived of oxygen because of a CA or an OA.

CA/PB MAY be harder to eliminate, but they're not necessarily more harmful. If anything, they may be less harmful.

An ASV is a LOT harder to live with than a CPAP machine. They are a lifesaver to many people with bad CA/PB/CSR, but they're not "better" in a generic sense.

Note, you MAY have problems. However, don't let the CA/PB numbers scare you unless your AHI is high or you have extremely long apneas, probably more than 60 seconds or so.

If you want people to look at your results in more detail, upload a copy of your SD card to dropbox. There are instructions in my Useful Links in the signature line at the bottom of this post.

Hi Rcgop,

I think CA events tend to be less stressful on the body than OA events, especially if the CA events are the same or shorter in length than the OA events. With OA events we are trying to breathe but are being choked. With Central events, as soon as we try to breathe, we smoothly start breathing again, perhaps after very little drop in our O2 saturation. A recording oximeter (which usually requires no prescription) is important for detecting how low the SpO2 goes during these events, to see whether concern would be warranted.

Some do have a very hard time getting used to an ASV machine, which will immediately react if we swallow or pause our breathing, but I think most don't have a big problem adapting to ASV therapy, especially now that ASVs have the Ramp feature. I think it helps if a new ASV user has already gotten somewhat used to normal CPAP therapy before they start using ASV.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2017, 01:42 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Some may think I'm nuts but masks can bring on PB CA.

I have quit my new Dreamwear mask entiy because of that.

Any mask which reduces rebreathing may increase CAs.

This is why a Full Face Mask or a Total Face Mask may reduce CAs, especially if the pressure is not so high that it causes the mask to vent strongly.
Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
Post Reply Post Reply

http://imgur.com/a/UgTyP

Here are the results of last night and lowering the max pressure to 8.
I did much better and was more comfortable. I am not convinced it is totally due to the pressure drop as I only maxed out the pressure for a very short time.

Also I have had good days like this many times at the old settings. Plus, one day does not make a trend. I am researching a oximeter and possible nasal mask.

Thanks Thanks for the advice.
Dont-know  I am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rcgop,

Would be good to pay careful attention to how you feel upon awakening each morning and keep a journal to record a few words upon awakening, adding a few words before bed if had fatigue or sleepiness during the day.

The CAs shown were fairly short and I think are not cause for concern. The shakiness or jumpiness of the Flow waveform (ocassional quick jumps to zero and back) are obstructive in nature. The smooth Periodic Breathing without apneas is clearly central in type. A CA which begins gradually and ends gradually is clearly central in type. I think the machine-marked CAs were probably correctly marked.

After a week or two, lowering EPR to 1 may reduce both obstructive and central events.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a question triggered by looking at Rcgops chart. Don't ResMed machines flag CSR's? On my PR machine I get CSR (listed in the events section as PB) and CA's. The first thing that came to mind when seeing his chart was CSR problems and I checked it and saw no CSR events recorded for what looked like CSR flow and each had a CA with it. I have several heart problems, including a low ejection fraction--borderline for CHF, and I watch these items carefully. My PR machine is quick to report CSR's when I don't think they really qualify--I have the oval wave form but not a straight line (no breathing or a CA/OA) recorded--there is actually air movement. What's the answer on RedMed machines?
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-08-2017, 04:53 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I have a question triggered by looking at Rcgops chart. Don't ResMed machines flag CSR's?

Yes, ResMed does flag CSR events. Early in my treatment, I had some CSR events. The PB was much worse than this example and lasted for a much longer time.
Dont-know  I am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2017, 09:43 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote:An ASV is a LOT harder to live with than a CPAP machine.

With respect I have to disagree with this statement. ASV machines are certainly more expensive and harder to get funded through insurance (where that applies) but they are in no way harder to live with. In fact I'd go so far as to say they are easier to live with for people (like me) who need them. In particular, the Resmed ASV is a wonderful piece of engineering with matches and supports your respiration, lulling you (me) off to sleep in no time. This from somebody who has been a chronic insomniac most of my life.
Good point.  They're immediate heaven for some.  For some people, they're hell for a while, then it's like someone throws a switch and it's heaven.  For some, they're hell forever.  

From what I've seen reported here, they're a real problem for a lot of people at first, but for many, they're the only cure.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disturbing breathing patterns? Please help. mRFstro 18 544 10-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Last Post: bonjour
Question Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing? SuperSleeper 84 53,858 10-21-2017, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sheepish
  How do I stop mask removal while sleeping? SarcasticDave94 35 1,013 10-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Return to treatment - CA's and Periodic Breathing Kev73 11 325 10-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Kev73
  [CPAP] Using VPAP During Waking Hours for Easier Breathing? gamegrrl 7 460 09-30-2017, 12:18 AM
Last Post: gamegrrl
  Periodic Breathing jonathan richardson 14 501 09-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Breathing Questions bluemom51 8 303 09-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bluemom51