[Treatment] How long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?
Rousseau21 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAir with ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 15 cm H²O with EPR at 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnose with OSA moderate-high. CPAP user since January 2016.

Sex: Male

Question How long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?
I’m a newbie in the sleep apnea world and I just want to have hope from other users like you.

Is been two weeks now that I’m using my CPAP machine. I’m using it all night for an average of 8 hours.
By the way my IAH is 15-20 when I sleep on the side and 30-35 on the back. I'm moderate like they say.

To give me an average, how long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?

Thanks and have a nice day!
02-04-2016 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ezdrifler Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips Respironics Remstar
Mask Make & Model: Quattro
Humidifier: Philips Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 6-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: How long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?
Ive used mine two weeks, im fairly new.

I downloaded the sleepyhead software and i was able to see how i was doing, if i had leaks in my mask, etc.

I dropped my AHI to approximately 5, i was 26 without cpap.

I actually feel more sleepy when i wake up, I feel is harder to wake up from such a deep sleep Smile.

in the afternoon I no longer need a nap, I no longer yawn and feel im falling asleep at the wheel in the afternoon, and that strangr headache (that later i found out it was due to the oxigen depravation) has gone away.

I have bad nights, im still making adjustments such as my humidifier, mask type, sleeping position.

But i had a change since night one, I think you should be able to drop your AHI lower, 20+ sounds high
02-04-2016 08:35 PM
Rob S Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP 6, 90% IPAP16

Other Comments:

RE: How long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?
from day 1 my treatment was working, AHI from mid 70's to averaging around .5 even with successful treatment The first 3 months i felt worse than before starting but from then on i started noticing some improvements in how i feel. at 7 months now and i hope i continue to see more improvement.
02-04-2016 09:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

I had one or two mornings during the first week or two when I felt I had gotten at least some better sleep. Mostly I felt worse because the machine really bothered me. But I used it religiously and the number of mornings that I felt better increased in frequency. I'd say it took about 2 months before I could say I actually felt better most of the time. Then in the next few months the headaches that had plagued my existence for decades started to fade. Anxiety faded. Lots of good stuff kept happening. It's been just over four years now and there's no way to describe how much better I feel.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-04-2016 09:56 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Rousseau21,
I took to the machine right away and noticed the benefits very quickly.
Others have a really hard time taking to it.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.

trish6hundred
02-04-2016 10:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
otrpu Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset w/Oxi
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: RespCareHYB500
Humidifier: ClimateLine, Socked, set 3
CPAP Pressure: 9-17

Other Comments: COPD

Everybody's different. Don't know if anybody has come up with averages you want. All I can say is, I can still remember how rested and alert I felt when I awoke my first morning at home in 2003, after having used my "Brick" of a CPAP that first morning. I had never felt so good as I did that first morning.

Cheers,
otrpu

Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2016 01:11 AM by otrpu.)
02-05-2016 01:09 AM
Asjb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Aircurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV. Before 11/2015 Airsense 10 Auto
Mask Make & Model: FP Simplus & Remzzzs liner
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: Current info in this post

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(02-04-2016 03:24 PM)Rousseau21 Wrote:  I’m a newbie in the sleep apnea world and I just want to have hope from other users like you.
Is been two weeks now that I’m using my CPAP machine. I’m using it all night for an average of 8 hours.
To give me an average, how long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?

Hello Rousseau - congratulations on using CPAP for an average of 8 hours in your first two weeks. Fantastic!

Reading this Board for a year now, the only thing that seems to apply to everyone is - that everyone is different...

So don't lose heart if progress is slow.

I felt less fatigue within a few weeks of starting CPAP, and as my AHI had gone down to 3 to 12 (from a diagnosis night of 58) , I felt very happy that my cardiovascular health was being protected by CPAP, and that reassurance has stayed with me.

But I have to say my fatigue only went away (and what a difference it was) when my AHI was routinely below 2, ideally below 1. I believe some people can be this sensitive but it's unusual.

Suggest you keep track of your data with Sleepyhead so you have 'good evidence' to show your doctor if you find after a few months that your symptoms, AHI, etc could be improved even further.

Good luck.

02-05-2016 04:37 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
schrader Offline

New Members

Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: ResMed Autosense S10
CPAP Pressure: 4-20

Other Comments:

No difference for me after 4 months. I am still hopeful.
02-05-2016 06:29 AM
Rousseau21 Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAir with ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 15 cm H²O with EPR at 3

Other Comments: Diagnose with OSA moderate-high. CPAP user since January 2016.

Wow! I love this forum.

Thanks everyone for your experience I appreciate!

And for other like me, let's stay positive and be patient (hard for me Thinking-about )

We have hope!

Okay
02-05-2016 07:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Inspired Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: resmed airsense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: F & P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 8-12

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I felt better after the first night, and continue to improve daily. AHI dropped from 15 during sleep study, to 1.5 the first night on cpap. It is still averaging between 1 and 3, with three weeks of cpap use, gradually adjusting to the machine. I've tried several masks and have been patiently figuring out how to stop leaks and improve. Fatigue is 80% gone, no more need for naps, and I wake up without that foggy head feeling. I am not surprised that I occasionally still have a "bad" night with more leaks and AHI around 3 but most nights that is not the case. It takes time to adjust to sleeping in space cadet gear.

I am so grateful and loving my cpap, and this forum for all that I am learning.

Keep at it and you will find your way to improved sleep and overall better health!

Inspired
Bigwink
02-05-2016 08:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Got my diagnostic, MSLT, and CPAP titration results Beej 6 81 Yesterday 11:41 PM
Last Post: Beej
  One good night, now leak issues? sleepyguy99 20 605 Yesterday 10:27 PM
Last Post: sleepyguy99
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 726 208,191 12-08-2016 07:37 AM
Last Post: Gabby
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 191 12-07-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 482 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Comparing AHI between CPAP and For Her Beej 11 480 12-04-2016 11:27 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Question for Airfit F10 Users PaytonA 2 208 12-03-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike