Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] How long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?
RE: How long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?
Before the CPAP I woke up every hour.
With the beginning of the therapie I sleept 5 to 6 hours before I woke up to see the bathroom, or to clean my nose because it was often blocked in the beginning.
It also became more easy to get out of bed in the morning.

I drive to work one hour and in the evening after a long day I had to stop my car half the way and take a nap because I was so tired.
This tireness was gone after one week with the CPAP.

My Blood pressure went down to normal after 3 month.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy?
I slept 5 hours first night (for me that was good, was only sleeping 1 or 2 hours a night prior.)

The one thing I noticed right away upon waking up was that I didn't have a headache. Smile

Don't get discouraged, everyone is different. It's been 15 months now, and I would never consider going without.

It's important to use software. If your able, download the Sleepyhead software (link at top of page.)

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I can recall, my wife noticed an improvement the first night I used the therapy at home. She said I quit "sawing logs" and quit stopping breathing during the night. While my actual hours asleep did not change (5 hours was max during my working years) the quality of sleep got much better; and, I quit falling asleep at my desk after lunch.

Now after 20 years of therapy and retiring in 2011, I've started to get 7 to 8 hours of quality sleep. And on those nights where I get less sleep, I will take a nap, the the cpap, during the afternoon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2016, 06:29 AM)schrader Wrote: No difference for me after 4 months. I am still hopeful.

Schrader - are your pressure settings really 4-20 as indicated? Are your AHIs <5? Perhaps folks here can help you dial in your therapy if necessary to help you feel better if you update your info and post a few graphs. I would do it in a new thread. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2016, 08:54 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I slept 5 hours first night (for me that was good, was only sleeping 1 or 2 hours a night prior.)

The one thing I noticed right away upon waking up was that I didn't have a headache. Smile

Don't get discouraged, everyone is different. It's been 15 months now, and I would never consider going without.

It's important to use software. If your able, download the Sleepyhead software (link at top of page.)

Thank you OpalRose!

I just imported my data on SleepyHead this evening.

I just don't know what to look at... Lol

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2016, 07:08 PM)sonicboom Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 06:29 AM)schrader Wrote: No difference for me after 4 months. I am still hopeful.

Schrader - are your pressure settings really 4-20 as indicated? Are your AHIs <5? Perhaps folks here can help you dial in your therapy if necessary to help you feel better if you update your info and post a few graphs. I would do it in a new thread. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Thank you Sonicboom!

My pressure is now 7 to 20 in automatic mode but I rarely go over 14.

I imported my data for the first time this evening in Rescan and SleepyHead.

Just don't know what to look at...

I added a new thread in the software forum asking what to look for.

I appreciate the help Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Still very new to all this but the first week was awful - then they changed my mask to a full face mask and from that day I slept average 7.5 hours with no AHI at all! Been three weeks almost and I feel brilliant - if someone tried to take my dream-machine off me I'd kill them! I absolutely love it!
Hope you soon experience the same feelings - good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
My best night of sleep in years was the night of my sleep test at the hospital. I've struggling on finding a comfortable mask that does not leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using my CPAP for about 7 months. I started to notice a difference within the first 2 weeks or so. My AHI fluctuates somewhat regularly but it's around 5, down from 32 during my test at the clinic. I no longer wake up gasping for air, and while it used to take me 4-5 hours to get the stuffiness out of my head, now I awake with a clear head. I usually wake up about once a night, but that's due to dry mouth and so I take a drink of water, roll over, and go back to sleep. In all honesty, I believe that my sleep apnea has affected me most of my life and my only regret is that I didn't start this program about 40 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine got delivered Dec 9 2015 and Dec 10 was the best I felt in over 10 years. While the euphoria of the first few nights has worn off the new normal is hugely superior to my pre-APAP days.

I just purchased a 2nd machine out of pocket as a backup, and as a lighter anecdote I recently fell asleep before wearing the mask and my wife could not believe how loud I was, and then reflected on that is how she has lived with that for so many years. How quick they forget.

Now she insists on carrying my machine wherever we travel, so now she can't do without it either.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 6 128 2 minutes ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 4 212 57 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 492 1 hour ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 474 3 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 214 7 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 158 9 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 300 9 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.