Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Huge jump in AHI
Huge jump in AHI
I was scared and appalled this morning when I saw my AHI of 15.9.
I started using a new FFM(the F10 airfit) a few days ago and my AHI has steadily creeped from below 1, up to 1-3, and this morning, the nightmare number. The leak was only 9L, acceptable.
I am in a quandary. I have lost 50 pounds over the last year and started to exercise several months ago. I guess I hoped to improve.
What could have happened last night to cause this huge jump? Same pressure of 7-12cm used, leak under control, makes no sense. I was thinking if it was possible for the mask to have failed in terms of the venting, I just don't know. In the meantime, I will go back to my old FFM Quatro FX, and I pray that my AHI will return to normal.
I am so scared and upset. Just when I thought my treatment was good something like this happens.
Sorry, I haven't figured out how to use sleepyhead yet, but this sounds serious.
Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Huge jump in AHI
How do you know your leaks are under control? Without software (as per your profile) you cannot really be certain.
I would start by using software and understand leak rate, pressure, type of apnea scored...

You are looking at a single number that attempts to report efficacy in one convoluted number.

Don't be scared... you can master the software.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto Mongo...

You cannot make any conclusions unless you have all the data. So download, install, and learn to use the Sleepyhead software.

Beyond that, you really don't need to be scared. This will get resolved.

It's important to know what type of events you had as well as what pressures were being dialed up to treat them....

Well, every road seems to lead back to Sleepyhead, doesn't it?

Post Reply Post Reply
What Mongo and retired_guy said.

I have been using a Mirage Quattro Medium size FFM with good results. Recently I got my hands on a small size of the same mask because I thought that it would fit better. Since I have been using the small for the last 4 days, my AHI is jumping all over the place and my leaks are higher than they were with the medium size. I do like the way the small fits better but so far it is not providing comparable results.

My message to you, ppowers, is that when you make changes things can go a little wacko for a while. Work with it for a while. If you can not make it better after working on it for a reasonable time then go back to where you started from.

Do not panic. you are getting good results too.

Do get Sleepyhead and start using it so that you can make decisions based on facts rather than perception.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep you need the software to know what is really going on. I run both Encore and Sleepy Head everyday on myself and my wife.

Mask changes can make a difference, total face to nasal does for me but not that huge. And honestly one night isnt going to tell you much. Im not old hat this stuff like most here but Ive even found occasionally you will just have a bad night.

I wouldnt get scared or panic over a night or so of odd ball readings, especially after a mask switch or other change.

Just get software check the leaks cus the machine will read all kinds of nutty stuff if your leaks are way to high. See what is actually going on. But dont be scared or panic over a night or two of weird numbers
Post Reply Post Reply
*Use the software Luke*

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will have to get some guts and try the sleepyhead download again. Corrupted my SD card before, I will lock it this time!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2014, 02:37 PM)ppowers Wrote: Thanks everyone for the advice. I will have to get some guts and try the sleepyhead download again. Corrupted my SD card before, I will lock it this time!

That's the key.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2014, 02:37 PM)ppowers Wrote: Thanks everyone for the advice. I will have to get some guts and try the sleepyhead download again. Corrupted my SD card before, I will lock it this time!

Hi ppowers,
Sleepyhead only READS the SD card, never writes to it. If you didn't lock it before inserting it into your computer, some Operating Systems (Windows 8.0, 8.1 and some Mac OSs) can write hidden material to any card or drive, without any prompt. In Windows case, it is trying to enable "indexing" on the drive, to make searching faster. Not sure what the Mac OSs are doing. But locking the card will prevent the issue from occurring.

Somewhere here there are instructions for undoing the Windows mod, but some have indicated that the fix may fail. So simplest is to use the lock.

I have cultivated the habit of locking the card immediately upon removing it from the S9, and unlocking it immediately before reinserting into the S9. So it is always locked unless it is in the S9. This is ingrained now, and I don't have to think about it anymore - haven't made any mistakes about that for a long time.

Good luck on your journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
did you change your machine to FF Mask from whatever mask setting it had been on before ?? That might make a difference !
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 376 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden AHI jump woodepgh 3 397 09-03-2023, 09:37 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  new DSX600, dramatic jump in AHI - ASV OMG! DrMike 53 4,935 01-23-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden jump in AHI redslug 4 673 09-28-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: redslug
Angry [CPAP] Huge noob here. Really POed at Resmed/DME and could use help now! debhona12 15 1,470 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  O2ring shows huge gradual drop in spO2 over half hour with new DS2. Cord tangling? aolamid 9 1,082 02-09-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: aolamid
  [Treatment] After years of successful treatment: a Big jump in AHI and drop in restfulness AtRest 28 2,448 05-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Last Post: AtRest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.