Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Hypopnea question
Hypopnea question
Hi Guys
I’ve been using CPAP for 18 months now and have had great success. My AHI has been averaging .5 - 3. 
Over the past few weeks my AHI has been getting higher and is now generally 5 or above. Looking at my stats my actual apnea’s haven’t increased particularly but I’m having many more 
hyopneas. I’m assuming an increase in pressure is the correct course of action?
Any input would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypopnea question
Increases in minimum pressure of 0.5 cm increments will show the improvement most likely. You should not have to increase maximum pressure unless you frequently find you hit that mark. You can also experiment with flex settings. The Philps AFlex ans CFlex seems to increase hypopnea at higher settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2018, 08:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Increases in minimum pressure of 0.5 cm increments will show the improvement most likely.  You should not have to increase maximum pressure unless you frequently find you hit that mark.  You can also experiment with flex settings.  The Philps AFlex ans CFlex seems to increase hypopnea at higher settings.

Thanks for your advice.
I’ve increased the pressure gradually over the past few nights with little change.
Interestingly last night I changed my headgear out - my original was getting pretty stretched and felt it wasn’t holding as well as it should (luckily I had a spare) - this morning my AHI was 2.
I’m thinking that perhaps the mask seal wasn’t as effective as it should have been - my mask fir has always been 100% according to the machine but somehow I don’t entirely believe that?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is easier to give advice when you attach a copy of your daily charts.  Wee bot mine and Sleeprider signatures for how to get, setup your charts and attach your Sleepyhead files.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2018, 06:53 PM)bonjour Wrote: It is easier to give advice when you attach a copy of your daily charts.  Wee bot mine and Sleeprider signatures for how to get, setup your charts and attach your Sleepyhead files.

Cheers - will give it a go but as I’m quite technically challenged can’t say how successful it’ll be??
Post Reply Post Reply
Give it a go, nothing to loose.
Higher low pressure should help, worth a try. Do not adjust the high pressure unless your AHI is going up. You will get the odd night where your AHI will be higher, we all get those. However, if it is creeping up you need to keep an eye on it.
Post your data if you can master it.
This helps a lot when others look at your data.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,151 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,114 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,045 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 355 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  What Makes This Period of Time an Hypopnea Event? Trevor G 1 415 07-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  AHI versus "mean apnea–hypopnea duration" (MAD) Henrikc 1 527 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  CPAP treatment for Hypopnea and Clear Airway silvermangb 3 1,441 10-02-2022, 03:41 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.