Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] I am more confused than ever....
RE: I am more confused than ever....
Ignore previous post. I wrote it not realizing there was a second page to this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guys,

First, thank you all for your thoughts, feedback, and advice. I appreciate having this community as a resource. Second, I made the advised adjustments (changed my EPR to 3). Additionally, I used a cervical collar last night and slept (sans foam wedge pillow) like a semi-normal human being. I felt great today. Fingers crossed this continues. Can anyone advise me if they detect a positive change in my flow limitations? Anything else I should be considering? I'm still trying to understand how analysis works. 

Best,

Justin
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you raised the EPR by 1, you might also raise the min and max pressure by 1.

Your FL does look a bit better.

I'd work on the leaks if you can, just to minimize them as a potential thing that might cause arousals.

Glad you're feeling better; let's hope it continues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice chart, I wouldn't change your settings for the purpose of changing them, they are good.
Do work on the leaks see what you can do there.
How you feel is an important thing to note and could provide a reason for change.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in agreement with Bonjour. Raising pressure makes no sense, and an improvement is apparent with the addition of EPR and the cervical collar may have contributed. The CA events I am seeing in your charts appear to be more related to arousal rather than some idiopathic source of central apnea. For you to sleep better, the higher pressure support (PS) between inhale and exhale pressure helps to overcome the upper airway restriction that we can infer from your history of turbinate reduction surgery, the presence of fairly high flow limitation and other evidence in your results. With the Airsense 10, you are limited to 3-cm of pressure support using EPR, but bilevel machine offer much more flexibility to increase PS. This wiki article will help you understand some of the rationale of the approach Bonjour has been taking in this thread. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

While everyone's input in this thread is useful, I'd encourage you to give more weight to the suggestion you are getting from Bonjour.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post some close ups of the flow rate where you're not having an event, thank you.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2019, 09:50 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: While everyone's input in this thread is useful, I'd encourage you to give more weight to the suggestion you are getting from Bonjour.

FWIW, in case the OP was wondering, I only mentioned the possibility of changing the pressure to compensate for the EPR change. But that was just based on a general observation. 

I'd always defer to bonjour and sleeprider if in doubt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guys,

I feel pretty good today, although, not great like yesterday. I've attached last night's charts for review or feedback. My next question touches on the reduction of leaks. Currently, I tape my mouth and use the cervical collar to keep everything "leak proof." Despite my best efforts, leaking from the corner of my mouth is common, despite how much tape I use or how thoroughly I use it. Additionally, I often wake up, and my mouth is parched (generally, my teeth dry to my inner lips). Thus, it seems that the pressure is trying to escape my mouth eventually compromises the tape's seal. So, three questions:

1. Should I try a full-face mask? I have a Phillips Respironics mask that I used for approximately one night and hated because I felt awful. This attempt was early in my therapy, and I don't feel I was as versed in recovering from CPAP failures. 

2. If I do use a full-face mask, would the pressure need to be adjusted upwards?

3. Any other tips for a full-face mask experiment?

Best,

Justin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello JL 3000. Have you tried using Somnifix strips to tape your mouth? If I purse my lips before I stick a strip on, I have zero mouth leaks. Might be worth an experiment before you try the full-face mask route.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2019, 03:52 PM)JL3000 Wrote: Currently, I tape my mouth and use the cervical collar to keep everything "leak proof." Despite my best efforts, leaking from the corner of my mouth is common, despite how much tape I use or how thoroughly I use it. Additionally, I often wake up, and my mouth is parched (generally, my teeth dry to my inner lips). Thus, it seems that the pressure is trying to escape my mouth eventually compromises the tape's seal.

What tape are you using? Also, please post some close ups of the flow rate where you're not having an event, thank you.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 718 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 526 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 469 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  A little confused. David Clark 12 909 06-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.