Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] I could use some help getting started
I could use some help getting started
Hello, I have recently had an at home sleep study done using the watchpat at home device.  After the study was done the dr. of dentistry told me the only option for me was to get a device called a DNA device (daytime, nightime appliance).  I don't think I am going to pursue that option.  I had a CPAP machine from a previous diagnosis 4 years ago so I figured I would give it a try to see if it would improve my sleep quality.  I thought I had been sleeping well since my original CPAP diagnosis but lately I have been waking up at night and not feeling well rested.  I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the sleep test results and my 1st nights data results from OSCAR and make any suggestions for treatment options and optimal CPAP settings.

Thank you all in advance and I really appreciate that you have this community.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I could use some help getting started
1. Some of your events are clustered together suggesting positional apnea so you'll want to evaluate your sleeping position and try to avoid sleeping in a way that will close off your airway. Lots of people here wear soft cervical collars to prevent positional apnea.

2. You're currently using a very low pressure setting combined with a-flex which further reduces pressure for comfort. If I were you I'd trial raising your minimum pressure by 1cmH20 and trialing it for a couple of nights. Your first success criteria is getting vibratory snore to 0.00 for 95% of the night, referrably 99.5% - then evaluate how you feel after cpap therapy overnight and report back here with results.

3. Do you remember the significant leak this night? Try to keep mask leaks to 95% 0.00 where possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2023, 12:01 PM)gainerfull Wrote: 1. Some of your events are clustered together suggesting positional apnea so you'll want to evaluate your sleeping position and try to avoid sleeping in a way that will close off your airway. Lots of people here wear soft cervical collars to prevent positional apnea.

2. You're currently using a very low pressure setting combined with a-flex which further reduces pressure for comfort. If I were you I'd trial raising your minimum pressure by 1cmH20 and trialing it for a couple of nights. Your first success criteria is getting vibratory snore to 0.00 for 95% of the night, referrably 99.5% - then evaluate how you feel after cpap therapy overnight and report back here with results.

3. Do you remember the significant leak this night? Try to keep mask leaks to 95% 0.00 where possible.
Thanks for the reply.  I do not remember when the leak happened actually.  Some of the data for that day was from during the day when I was experimenting with settings. 

I have been sleeping at a 7inch raise I wonder if that could be leading to my chin collapsing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your large leak rate is 0.0 and is absolutely nothing to worry about. Your starting pressure leaves most adults feeling air-starved. I suggest you raise it to at least 7 and see if you are more comfortable.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 161 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 194 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,745 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 292 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 890 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 368 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Started CPAP treatment - Would like advice on my sleep study and OSCAR information Mythique 27 2,930 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.