Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Interpreting leak rate data
Last night I crossed the 5-AHI limit, and I am wondering what I can do to further improve my treatment.

I am  especially concerned with my leak rate as my wife is telling me that I am mouth breathing a few times during sleep. I am using Dreamwear nasal pillow mask these days.

I am a bit uncertain how to interpret the leak rate data. 

When looking at the leak rate at times I was mouth breathing (according to my wife) I usually don’t see any significant change in leak rates  - will it be easy to see real mouth breathing on the leak rate graph?

As shown in the attached screendump I had an increase of both leak rate numbers at around 01.10 last night. Could that be due to mouth breathing?

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Hi Otil. Sleepyhead reports you had zero time over the redline for leaks, so although it was a fairly large leak at 01:10, it wasn't enough to upset the machine. No doubt it would have made a bit of a noise which could upset your wife, and that is more serious than upsetting the machine. Smile

Mouth leakage can often be seen in the charts by a flat-topped graph, which is exactly what you have at 01:10. To overcome this, there are a number of potential remedies including:

- The tongue-stick method (practice holding your tongue against the roof of the mouth to form a seal);
- Chin strap;
- Soft cervical collar;
- Tape your lips together;
- Get rid of the pillows mask and get a full face mask.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about flow rate, pressure and AHI BByou 4 159 09-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Last Post: BByou
  Is mouth leak tricking my AHI ? Djabag 7 268 09-20-2018, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Resmed S10 water leak from humidifier darren79 41 20,135 09-20-2018, 04:31 PM
Last Post: BeautifulAva
  Question about flow rate charts and events jminminnesota 14 396 09-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: jminminnesota
  Resp. Rate spikes chd3143 17 362 09-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Interpreting ResScan data sjssf 4 136 09-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: sjssf
  Does the amplitude of flow rate have significance? Clementine39 5 246 08-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla