Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Is AHI a true indicator of sleep quality?
Is AHI a true indicator of sleep quality?
I use Respironics Dreamstation. My settings are 12 cm fixed pressure with FX nose pillow. Normally my AHI range is 0.6~1.8. I feel good with these results. The reason I raise this question is everytime I look at the SleepyHead data, I see some inconsistencies. When I see a event flag, I always check the flow rate and see how the waveform looks like. I have been doing this for quite a few years and my experience tells me that a CA or OA may not always give a pause of breathing of more than 10 seconds. It may not even be a flat line which means that there is a little bit of breathing in between. On the other hand, Hypopnea and " pressure pulse " can be a stoppage of breathing of more than 10 seconds. All these lead me to question the validity of AHI as an indicator of sleep quality. Should we not just look at the raw data ( waveform ) and determine how good our sleep is? Regardless of what the AHI number the machine shows, I always get 2~3 pauses ( breathing stoppage ) of 10~13 seconds every night. Please comment. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is AHI a true indicator of sleep quality?
I don't think it's meant to be a sleep quality indicator. It's just suppose to be an indicator of disruption to breathing. It's not perfect but it does a pretty good job in letting you know if the machine is treating you. I think anything under 2 AHI is pretty well treated. It doesn't mean there isn't other sleeping problems.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep quality is a qualitative judgement that should be able to be made without the use of data. AHI is a quantitative measure of breathing disruptions. The two may or may not be correlated, but in general if you have a lot of AHI events, you're unlikely to look back on that night as particularly good. I have often seen members comment that their best nights are not always the ones with the lowest AHI. "Normal" does not mean zero events. Most of us are on this therapy due to considerably above normal events without CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good AHI is NOT an indicator of good sleep quality. However, a high AHI is pretty much guarantee of poor sleep quality.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2017, 06:54 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Good AHI is NOT an indicator of good sleep quality.  However, a high AHI is pretty much  guarantee of poor sleep quality.

OMMOHY

I'll go with that one.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is a fairly crude but easily quantifiable measure, which is what bureaucrats and bean counters need to justify / refuse payment for machines and treatment. It's also an easy way for sleep docs and techs to determine if the treatment is "working".

AHI counts the number of events, but does not consider their duration. It also doesn't take into account clustering of events. You could (hypothetically) have eight 60 second apneas in the space of 15 minutes but none for the rest of your 8 hour sleep. Resulting AHI is 1.0 - wonderful! It doesn't take into account that those 15 minutes of extreme apnea might have done you a lot of harm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I can see a lower AHI on some nights but a horrible night of sleeping; most all of my CA events can be 30 seconds with a lot 40-50 seconds.  I analyze my data and look at the number of apneic time vs machine time, then I have to take into consideration if I couldn't go back to sleep because of lack of treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2017, 06:54 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Good AHI is NOT an indicator of good sleep quality.  However, a high AHI is pretty much  guarantee of poor sleep quality.

OMMOHY

On being informed that my sleep test indicated serious SA, I pointed out that I had little trouble sleeping, waking reasonably refreshed, to a certain extent it is a difficult one to quantify.
My medical fool said that I might think I was getting a good nights sleep, but really I was not! Oh-jeez

Having been given the story that if left untreated my SA would lead to heart attack and or stroke. In a spirit of medical experimentation I went off treatment for 5 weeks, waking feeling little different and clearly still alive, in addition I came off treatment when suffering from a heavy cold/chest infections with no harmful affects, other than from the whisky taken.

It appears to me that the only indications of a good quality sleep are how sleepy you feel the next day, and that you are actually alive the following morning.

In conclusion, when they said I had high AHI I was in fact sleeping well, when I went on treatment, managing only 4-5 hours sleep a night I had lower AHI but with little change in my feel good factor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Throat muscles relax more in deep rem sleep, resulting in hypopneas or apneas. Long rem sleep is the gold standard for me for a good night's sleep. Sure enough, those nights my AHI will typically be higher than on largely sleepless nights--or anyway, nights when my sleep is shallow and I'm waking up often. I'm pretty dialed in on my settings, so on a deep rem sleep night I might have a 1.0 or higher AHI; whereas on a bad night I often have a 0.4 or 0.5 AHI. I'll gladly take the rem sleep and higher AHI every time.
Post Reply Post Reply
REM sleep is the gold standard for me for a good night's sleep. My jaw and throat muscles relax deeply in such sleep. As a result, I often have a higher AHI on nights when I sleep great than on those nights of shallow dreams and constant awakenings. I'll gladly take the deep REM sleep and higher AHI every time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 253 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 876 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,212 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 625 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 855 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.