Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Is there any positive feedback or success stories for UPPP surgery?
RE: Is there any positive feedback or success stories for UPPP surgery?
Hi Stephen N,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Usually, a person who had had those surgeries, does have to wind up using CPAP.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2014, 11:40 AM)stephen N Wrote: Looks like I may have to resort to CPAP anyway, another sleep test due in about 4 weeks.
If my oxygen levels havent improved, its most likely a CPAP, which means looking for a different job

Hi stephen, welcome to the forum!

Before looking for another job, perhaps you could start a new thread to get ideas on how to use CPAP while keeping your current job. If you're a truck driver it may be fairly easy to get set up to use CPAP on the road. Or, if your job requires sleeping in the wilderness where there is no power, solar power or a generator to recharge a large "deep cycle" battery may do the trick.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gidday Trish and Vaughn,

I had a deep think about CPAP while on the road - but in our trucks, and with the type of work we do they are not very practical,
I am what we term a "Hot Shot" driver,
We take urgent deliveries from Perth, to minesites all over the country
A pair of drivers - so the truck doesnt stop moving - apart from refuelling, with us being on the road for up to a week or so.
We drive in 3 to 4 hour shifts non- stop, and there is very little room in the cab for extra gear- all our baggage, bedding and food + 2 drivers share the cab and cramped bunk "hot bunking".
One of the drivers I work with had a CPAP, which is now in the bush somewhere near Marble Bar after he spat his dummy and threw it out the window.
The road was that rough it kept dislodging his mask, with the CPAP and humidifier continually bouncing around and ending up on the floor.
If [when] I go CPAP, I will go for a metro based job, the sandwichmaker will be happier if am at home anyway.

Mates of mine that use CPAP recommend the resmed S9 autoset, but what I cant figure out is how a machine that I understand is made in Australia, costs almost $3k here, but is a fraction of the price in the USA!
One of my mates purchased his S9autoset, with humidifier, 2 x masks, 2 x hoses, 10 years worth of filters, and bunch of spares, had it delivered to friends in the USA, who then sent it to him in Western Australia, all up for 1/2 the price of a the same machine with no extras or spares bought locally Thinking-about

My wife will be in Canada visiting our son, his missus and our soon to be grandkid in a couple of months, and they plan on visiting the USA before bub arrives, so while over there, I plan on them doing a search mission for me.

All the best,
stephen
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Stephen,

Online prices are way better than "brick and mortar" stores in USA.

I suggest Supplier #2 for a used machine if paying out of pocket. (A link to Supplier List is at top of all forum pages.)
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too had UPPP done in late 90's. It was to combat my excessive snoring. Had it done via laser. Unfortunately I have a HIGH gag rate. Poor doctor and nurse. Also had a lot of soft tissue removed. Again this was for snoring. Which I still do extremeley LOUD, when not on the CPAP. Only 3 times in the past 6 months.

If you can avoid the surgery, I would. Wish I had back then, but I wanted to keep the marriage bed intact, and was willing to do most anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2014, 09:18 PM)stephen N Wrote: Gidday

We take urgent deliveries from Perth, to minesites all over the country

Mates of mine in Australia

All the best,
stephen

Stephen,

The way you talk makes me want to grab my Minelab 5000, hop on a Quantas flight and rush right over. I'd hitch a ride with you while you're on the road & go pound the bush. Just make sure you drop me where there a stand of eucalyptus trees. Afterwards I come home, and get the best sleep doctor I could find.

Cheers, & All the best,

Pat
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Stephen. I did not have the UPPP surgery, but I had the turbinates done and a deviated septum corrected about.. well.. I guess 25 or more years ago. I found the surgery itself to be a breeze since I was unconscious, but they packed each nostril with a darned waterbed mattress! Then they went in with a pair of forceps weeks later and pulled them out. I swear it too them forever. I had no idea the sinuses could contain that much stuff. Ah, but then they pull out the Hoover and mop up! Now that is a pleasant feeling! LOL! All things being equal I was glad I had it done (once the memory dimmed of the after-care!) as I was able to breathe through my nose for the first time ever! I'm not sure about the UPPP surgery though. I've heard some real bad stories about that. I'm not sure I would want to do that. Just my own opinion. The CPAP isn't bad, but I understand your job requirements. Not sure it would help, but there is a machine I was looking at today called the Transcend Auto and that thing is so small I'd be afraid I'd lose it! But that is just a thought. There may be others like that, so maybe you want to shop around a bit and see if there is a machine that would fit the bill. And FYI, most machines (maybe all of them?) have adapters you can plug into a cig lighter.
Good luck
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2014, 09:18 PM)stephen N Wrote: Mates of mine that use CPAP recommend the resmed S9 autoset, but what I cant figure out is how a machine that I understand is made in Australia, costs almost $3k here, but is a fraction of the price in the USA!
One of my mates purchased his S9autoset, with humidifier, 2 x masks, 2 x hoses, 10 years worth of filters, and bunch of spares, had it delivered to friends in the USA, who then sent it to him in Western Australia, all up for 1/2 the price of a the same machine with no extras or spares bought locally Thinking-about
Both suppliers #10 and #2 deliver directly to Australia
I get all my supplies from #10 once a year to save on shipping costs
Suppliers list http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

The downside, no rebate from private health insurance (if machine bought from overseas) and machine have to be shipped back to US for any warranty issues. As far as I,m concerned worth doing even with the exchange rate not favorable now
Prices in Australia dropped somewhat, might worth investigating if you have private insurance, the rebate vary .. Bupa machine rebate $500
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2014, 06:17 PM)mjbearit Wrote: I had the turbinates done and a deviated septum corrected, they packed each nostril with a darned waterbed mattress! Then they went in with a pair of forceps weeks later and pulled them out. I swear it too them forever. I had no idea the sinuses could contain that much stuff. Ah, but then they pull out the Hoover and mop up! Now that is a pleasant feeling! LOL!
Mike

Too-funny
Yep- when my ENT surgeon did my turbinectomy op. he told they packed my sinuses with seaweed [gauze isnt used as it gets stuck fast by the clotted blood- and removing stuck gauze can tear everything open]
My surgeon has a way with words, told me prior to removing the kelp packing with his long nosed pliers, that "this will feel wierd, like the worlds biggest and slimiest booger"

So, after watching him drag about 9 yards of the worlds biggest and slimiest booger out of my head - I had to agree his description was bang on target.

I must admit though- with the twin turbinectomy operation, and the recent UPPP +M, I had no complications at all.
There was no pain to speak of with either op.
With the UPPP +M , there was just a little annoying discomfort when swallowing over the stiches in my throat- much like when eating with a sore throat.

The only thing I would recommend if having the turbinectomy op., is to try and organise to have the op. done when you will not be going to work for a couple of weeks, immediately before annual leave or similar.
Your face will look like a halloween mask for a while- and once the kelp dressing is removed- expect frequent bleeds until it settles down.

Hint......buy tissues.

Lots of them.

Seriously- purchase them by the carton, with that aloevera stuff on them, as your nose will be getting tender from the constant wiping.

Dont let the above scare you away from a turbinectomy op. though,
once you have had the op. you will be kicking yourself for not having it done years before.

stephen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2014, 12:05 AM)stephen N Wrote: The only thing I would recommend if having the turbinectomy op., is to try and organise to have the op. done when you will not be going to work for a couple of weeks, immediately before annual leave or similar.
Your face will look like a halloween mask for a while- and once the kelp dressing is removed- expect frequent bleeds until it settles down.

Hint......buy tissues.

Lots of them.

Seriously- purchase them by the carton, with that aloevera stuff on them, as your nose will be getting tender from the constant wiping.

Dont let the above scare you away from a turbinectomy op. though,
once you have had the op. you will be kicking yourself for not having it done years before.

stephen.

When I had mine done, they basically break your nose also to correct the septum thing. The surgical nurse started to give me instructions about ice for black eyes, then looked at the paper, saw who the doctor was and said "Never mind, you won't have any swelling or bruising!". She was right. No swelling, no bruising and after like the second day, no bleeding either. Maybe it's as much about the skill of the doctor as it is the surgery. But removing that packing was one of the most horrible things ever! To top it off, my eyes were watering so bad just from having that stuff pulled out, I looked like I was crying my eyes out! LOL!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,606 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,854 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 244 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 235 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.