Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Is this normal?
Is this normal?
I was diagnosed with OSA after an in home study with an AHI of 16. I started treatment about a week ago and my obstructions have gone down to 2.11, but my Clear Airway events are now 24.15. my AHI is now 26.38. I've sent my doctor multiple messages about this and he has read them but never responds. 

I've attached my OSCAR report to show that my respiratory rate is dropping to zero during each event and that it isn't just my device giving false readings. 

Is this normal when you begin treatment? 
Am I wrong to be worried that my AHI is going up and not down?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this normal?
It's not normal, and that is a higher rate of apnea with therapy than without. At this point the most constructive thing your doctor could do would be to refer you for a titration study that evaluates CPAP and moves to bilevel ASV if CPAP cannot be successfully titrated. This will confirm whether you have OSA or predominately CSA or therapy onset central sleep apnea, and it will attempt to find an appropriate therapy pressure(s). It may also show you don't tolerate CPAP and require the ASV. I can't think of a faster way to get to the therapy you require than to request your doctor to make that referral, assuming your insurance will cover.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
can you tell us more about your setting like min-max pressure, epr, etc
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure are 6-16 and epap is set to 2.

The doctor I'm referring to in the post is my pulmonologist, he is the one who did the at home study and the one that is reading my messages and seems to be ignoring me.
Post Reply Post Reply
well you do need to see a doctor, and in the meantime try to turn epr off or 1 see if this helps with ca
Post Reply Post Reply
OP - if pulmonologist is ignoring you, perhaps it is worthwhile to contact your Primary Care Doc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 295 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 455 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 284 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,744 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 897 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 774 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 571 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.