Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Koala1 - Moving to Resmed, aerophagia, please help with optimization
Koala1 - Moving to Resmed, aerophagia, please help with optimization
Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank you All.
This forum is a gem, and I try to read it daily to build up my knowledge about apnea. 

I’m 29, male, bmi 21, have some body fat but I am cycling and working out to keep my body in shape. 

My wife told me I may not breathe when sleeping and she complained I’m snoring a lot. 
Decided to go to a doctor to consult snoring. Instead got home sleep study and 
I have been diagnosed with sever apnea (AHI 37, desaturation getting down to 67%)
Decided to get CPAP as recommended by my doctor, and I’ve been using it 2 weeks now. 

Since I am not obese, doctor ruled out this possibility, but eventually I was not told what may be the cause of Apnea,
so I want to go to specialized clinic and cross check it with other doctor.

As for the treatment, before it,  I couldn’t focus and was exhausted in the morning.
Also I was kinda depressed and unmotivated and constantly wanted to drink alcohol.
Just realized it after I was diagnosed and after I read more about apnea, but my health was getting gradually worse due to it.

Now, from first night on CPAP I have been feeling better, even if I was not sleeping for 7-8hours.
The brain fog and ability to focus got back and didn’t want to drink at all since my mood is really good all the time. 
Now I got used to the mask and I don’t have problems with sleeping up to 8h. Feels great every day, and it’s only two weeks! 
Even falling asleep is easier now. I’m sleeping like in 3 minutes after turning the CPAP, which is huge improvement because before I had nights I couldn’t fell asleep no matter what. 

I got dream station with wisp mask. Set to APAP 4-10. Can’t change settings myself. 
For now I’m renting through insurance (in Japan I pay 30% of renting fee myself. Around 40 usd) but may consider buying one myself after some time. In long run will be much cheaper.

I’m still waiting for wellue ring which I bought on Ali to monitor oxygen levels. Hopefully will get it soon and will be able to say more about CPAP treatment results. Want to cross check how oxygen levels change with and without CPAP but the results so far are so good I am afraid not to use CPAP. I am scared of foggy brain. It is like hangover without pain.

Questions:
What I want to ask is checking my Oscar data. Honestly it will take some time until I will be able to interpret it myself.

Also, after using CPAP I am more hungry than before. 
My body was physically tired for first 3-4 days, like after heavy lifting or 2 days hike.
Is it possible my body is now recovering, since it gets better sleep and more oxygen at night?

What is cost of purchasing your own machine in the long run?
Philips Japan delivers consumables like mask and hose once a year, filters 4 times if I remember correctly.
If changing those parts at this rate is OK, it will be way cheaper to just buy machine myself and not to pay 40 usd a month.

Regards,
Koala1

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Koala1 - oscar data, first impressions
Hi, and welcome. You say you are unable/not permitted? to change the settings? Well, SOMEONE has to change your lowest setting by raising it to at least 5.5, which is what your chart suggests it should be. I don't see so far that the high limit of 10 needs to be raised.

There's no real reason that your AHI is above 1.0, as far as I can tell, except that you're low setting is too low. We should be able to get your AHI average to nearer 1.0 without too much trouble.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your advice!
I was thinking that lowest pressure may be too low. 

The machine setting is blocked and I cannot set anything. I was said only doctor can do it and I will need to take appointment. 
I’m supposed to do it in 2 weeks anyway. 

It is initiall setting so I expect my doctor to check CPAP data (shared online daily) and change them accordingly.
Post Reply Post Reply
koala1,
The machine settings can be unlocked. You have a right to take charge of your own therapy.
I agree with mesenteria that your minimum pressure should be a bit higher.

Order the Clinicians manual for your machine. This will show you how to "unlock" the provider mode and adjust settings.

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Raise the minimum, preferably 6. Leave the Flex setting off or if you feel you need it, use a setting if 1.

Keep your doctor appointment and see what he thinks, but I have a feeling your numbers and how you feel will be improved with this slight change.

Your doctor should be happy to see your involvement... if not, find a new doctor.

Just want to add that if you consider buyer a machine outright, check Supplier #2.
Also, consider buyer a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. The reasons are that the reaction time is faster than a Respironics, also the use of EPR compared to Flex is much better at helping with Flow Limitations and Hypopneas.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are doing well as it is, howerver a couple of things. To begin with the Phillips dreamstation is just not as good of a machine as the ResMed S10 airsense autoset. If you can turn the Phillips back in and exchange it for a ResMed I would do it in a heart beat. 

Next you say “you can’t “ change pressures” BS  it is your body, health and money. EVERYONE on this site uses Oscar to see what needs to be changed and WE change our own settings. 

With that being said your low pressure is set at the absolute lowest pressure the machine can go. At that low of a pressure I would be ripping off my mask to get enough air. The same machines are used for very small children to 100 year olds, you are a young healthy man and I can’t believe a min pressure of 4 would not feel like you are breathing through a straw. 

Raise your min to at least 7. I need at least 9 or I am air starved. Don’t worry raising your min if your mask fits correctly that should be the only air intake you have. And you need MORE than the pressure of 4 gives you.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you All for your input.

Well, we will see how my doctor will react to me changing the settings. I was aware I can access the clinician mode myself but I was hesitating. See, Japanese doctors don’t like if you’re smarter then them. Well we will see. Worst case I’ll Weill buy my machine sooner than later lol

That being said, I have just changed to 5.5. As you said, breathing at 4 was easy after first night. I still left flex untouched. For now.
I haven’t felt I have too less air to breathe. Let’s see what happens tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2021, 09:05 AM)koala1 Wrote: See, Japanese doctors don’t like if you’re smarter then them.

US doctors don't like that either... Too-funny
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, there is a term for this. It is called the "God Complex". It is so well documented that medical schools have added training to try to prevent it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully he will be fine with this. 
Will let you know after the consultation. 

First night on 5.5 was not good for a benchmark since I had a drink before sleep ( I know it’s the worst), and my AHI was 3.00

I noticed I woke up multiple times due to air getting out of my mouth. Need to get used to higher pressure I suppose
Post Reply Post Reply
After second night in 5.5 minimal pressure I feel worse than before. 
Again AHI 3. 
Will try back 4 pressure, later maybe 4.5.

I didn’t feel well breathing at 5.5 at all. Don’t need that much I think.

And it seems I have air in my stomach.
Something that doesn’t happen to me almost at all
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 601 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 427 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,647 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Moving from Dreamstation to Aircurve PartsGuy 9 597 02-22-2024, 10:31 AM
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 408 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.