Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Koala1 - Moving to Resmed, aerophagia, please help with optimization
RE: Koala1 - oscar data, first impressions
(06-12-2021, 11:11 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FYI if you see SpO2 at 88% or less for more than 5 minutes, this is a red flag and your doc needs to be told ASAP. Here in the USA at least that 88% for more than 5 min equals needing supplemental oxygen. Again if you do see this, call doc right away.

Thank you. 
I would definitely do that, even earlier. 

My doctor was afraid even seeing drop below 90. I need to confirm that but it looks like here the level is 90%. 

Ps. First night on 5.5 min pressure resulted in AHI dropping to 1.9!

I wonder if nasal pillow mast type requires higher pressure than nasal mask…
Post Reply Post Reply
OK great, yes fill in the right numbers that apply for you with what the doc said.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick update

After initial improvement AHI is back to 3.4

Current setup
Dreamwear Nasal Pillow
Pressure 5.5 - 10
Nasal congestion improved after taking Claritin

I have received full face mask so I’m gonna try it for next 2 maybe 3 nights. Fits well and it seems there won’t be any major leaks.

I also realised there are nights when max pressure curve flats at 10 so I change it to 12 from tonight. And increase min pressure to 6.

Next setup
Dreamwear FF
Pressure 6 - 12
Post Reply Post Reply
First night with Fullface - loud snoring!

Is it possible to snore on CPAP?
Is my pressure to low?

Current setup
Dreamwear FF
Pressure 6 - 12

I increased max pressure from 10 to 12 and it went up to 12 tonight.
I haven’t seen yet Oscar data so I can’t say if it was flat on 12 for long time or only spike.
I’ll update later.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still no Oscar data but I don’t need one.

Feel like sh*t today

Current setup
Dreamwear FF
Pressure 6 - 12
AHI 1.9
Lowest Spo2 94%

First night with Fullface mask resulted in good ahi and oxygen saturation levels.

However I was snoring today, as I didn’t use tape as with nasal masks.

I feel way worse than you could say seeing the numbers.
Gonna go back to nasal pillow tonight and check how it will be on 6 - 12 pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been looking at the data today, and I have been thinking that maybe there is a problem with my position.
I mean, upping minimal pressure doesn't change things (so far, i will keep it for a week or so to gather more data), and I still have AHI above 3.

Just to clarify, I use nasal pillow mask and tape to shut my mouth, and used FF mask one night only.
Pressure is 6-12, for most of the time it was 5-10.

Lets look at AHI composition (average from last 60 days)
AHI 2.52
Hypopnea 1.82
OA 0.43
CA 0.13

SpO2
Min 87% (usually doesn't drop below 91%)
Drop index 2.8
% in drop 2%

Now, sometimes my AHI is really low.
I thought it may be due to clear nose, so apart from nasal drops, I started to take Claritin to get rid of nasal congestion - works relatively good, still not completely clear but its like this all the time.
AHI is not improving with clear nose.

So I checked full face mask.
AHI dropped but I was snoring loudly. SpO2 was high!
That night min was 94% and average 97%! (usually min 91% and average 96%)

The numbers for FF looks good but I felt bad the next day.

Thoughts:
1. AHI is somehow related to position of my body or jaw
2. Tape keep my jaw from falling back and blocking airway but not always
3. Hypopnea is main factor in AHI, and its cause may be obstructive - it was always easier for me to take shallow breathes due to congestion
4. Low? Tidal volume with 360 median connected to point 3
5. Potential problem with falling back lower jaw and big palate - raising my head with open mouth block airway and its super easy to imitate snoring while inhaling
6. Position from point 5 doesn't influence nose breathing (at least not much!)
7. Rising pressure influence CA (avg pressure 5.7 - CA 0.22, avg pressure 6.3 - CA 0.44 but need to take more data)
8. Potential problem with sinuses or nasal airway that partially cause apnea
9. Trying collar or mouth guard could bring some improvement or at least answer some questions about jaw position and its influence

This so far. Gonna consult my ENT but I think he don't know a thing about treating apnea, so I reserved sleep clinic, so I can consult data with another doctor.
Have to wait a month so it is good opportunity to gather more data and try collar.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Just out of curiosity, was it definitely snoring with the FFM? What were your leaks like? Because almost every time I get a leak on my FFM, I get a "snore" from the vibration of the seal against my skin.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose snoring could be there, but that's indicitive of pressures being too low. Snoring is the airway vibration as it nears closing up. At least that's how I picture it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoring was there with Fullface mask. 
My wife didn’t sleep until late and she confirmed first and secon event.

Today I was sleeping on my belly.
A lot of air gathered in my stomach - unbelievable. 
I think due to position, after  air entered my mouth I was just “eating” it. 

I had 10 drops in Spo2 down to 91% but my AHI was 1.8. Have to check Oscar. 
Also I have just woke up so can’t say how I will feel. I usually figure that out around 10 or 11:00.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Silly question, but did you change the option in the settings to specify FFM instead of nasal/pillows? I'm not sure how much that would change the effective airflow and/or pressure, but that may be an issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 601 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,647 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Moving from Dreamstation to Aircurve PartsGuy 9 597 02-22-2024, 10:31 AM
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 408 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.