Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A sleeping timebomb
RE: A sleeping timebomb
Quote:Violent/highly anxious dreams were only seen in patients at baseline. Word count was higher in patients than in controls. REM density was highest the first CPAP night. Severe OSAS patients recall dreams in REM sleep as often as controls, but their dreams have an increased emotional tone and are longer.

A lucid dream is not necessarily a violent dream. A lucid dream is one in which the dreamer is at least somewhat aware that he/she is dreaming and is often able to control the content or progress of the dream.

Google has a lot of interesting references to lucid dreaming.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great thread here with some fascinating info.
And we thought it was JUST sleeping.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello
I found these post very interesting. I need to read them in more detail.
The history said that Dr. Sullivan did his first experiment where he figured out Sleep Apnea in 1980. He then did some more experimenting and founded ResMed in 1989.

I wonder what the relationship was between Dr. Sullivan and Respironics?
I remember reading on the Respironics website that they had the first Commercial Cpap Machine starting in 1985, The Sleep Easy.

I knew that I had a problem in the early 80's and before. After a number of Doctors and Clinics and after my wife read an article describing sleep apnea she recorded my sleep apnea and took it to a new Clinic. I was then finally diagnosed with sleep apnea. I purchased a Respironics Sleep Easy in 1985 and started my treatment. I did not realize at the time that CPAP was in its very beginning stage and that I had the first Commercial Machine. I still have the sleep easy in my basement. It has a date on it of I think 2/8/1985 and a hand written serial number of 3,000 or so. I have a number of accessories which are interesting.

I can post some pictures and details of the Sleep Easy if there is an interest in Sleep Apnea History.

GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2012, 11:10 PM)genes Wrote: I remember reading on the Respironics website that they had the first Commercial Cpap Machine starting in 1985, The Sleep Easy.

I knew that I had a problem in the early 80's and before. After a number of Doctors and Clinics and after my wife read an article describing sleep apnea she recorded my sleep apnea and took it to a new Clinic. I was then finally diagnosed with sleep apnea. I purchased a Respironics Sleep Easy in 1985 and started my treatment. I did not realize at the time that CPAP was in its very beginning stage and that I had the first Commercial Machine. I still have the sleep easy in my basement. It has a date on it of I think 2/8/1985 and a hand written serial number of 3,000 or so. I have a number of accessories which are interesting.

I would hang onto that Sleep Easy. In another ten years or so it may gain value as a piece of history.

And pics would be cool. Maybe Apnea Board should create a page for the history of sleep apnea and its therapies. Your pics could be part of it. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTrWutpMya8pNqmSLYb0t...-ZaU1ocVwA] [Image: vortexblower.jpg] ResMed first device
Post Reply Post Reply
I am attaching two pictures of my SleepEasy dated Feb 8, 1985. It looks like the picture Zonk uploaded except mine has a large air intake with a cloth filter on the side. It first came with the circuit shown on Zonks post but was updated to I think the Sanders Circuit. If this upload works ok I can send pictures of the inside plus details on the circuits, masks etc.
The base machine is 16 1/2" H, 9 1/2"W, & 7 1/4" D, Weight 15 1/2 Lb.
I used a stand alone unheated humidifier with the unit. It had a single speed 110 Volt AC(Alternating Current) motor and the only control was the switch. It was either on or off. The user pressure was controlled by purchasing a mask calibrated to your prescription. I had several masks I guess so that I could experiment and see which worked best.

It wasn't quiet but the sound was pretty uniform so my wife said she didn't have a problem with it. It was like background noise to her.

It still works. A few years ago we were going somewhere where we needed to blow up air mattresses so I took along the SleepEasy and it did the job with power to spare.

GeneS

Ok. The picture upload is not working for me yet so pictures will come later.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 983 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 459 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.