Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Looking for ideas on how to reduce hypopneas
Question 
Looking for ideas on how to reduce hypopneas
Hi everyone,

I love OSCAR. Thank you for developing this tool to help the average Joe like me to understand their AHI.

My question is how can I reduce my hypopneas?

I have attached a couple of pictures that show last nights results, the type of machine I have and its settings. I'm happy to share more screen shots if that is helpful.

Any help is appreciated. Smile Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for ideas on how to reduce hypopneas
Usually hypopneas are an indication that your EPAP pressure being too low.   Since they appear in a random or clustered fashion, would indicate that they are brought on by your sleeping position, probably chin tucking.   It would probably be easier to increase the EPAP pressure than it would be to try and avoid the sleeping positions.  The chin tucking can also be addressed by using a soft cervical collar,  loosely fit around the neck only to restrict the chin tucking.  Ultimately you should try and do both since a Philips machine does not respond in a timely manner to hypopneas.  You might try increasing the EPAP pressure in 1 cm steps, per night, until the hypopneas are nonexistent or close to it.  Make any adjustments prior to using your ASV for that day.  I don't recommend changing settings within a day's sleep session.

Good luck.    Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say EPAP is too low to combat the hypopnea events. It's a shame your SV Auto doesn't offer an EPAP range. It'd be more effective and comfortable. Does your SV Auto have other modes for therapy? Because if it does, I'd be inclined to turn that on. If you're unsure, tell us what settings you see and we can advise.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2020, 08:34 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I would say EPAP is too low to combat the hypopnea events. It's a shame your SV Auto doesn't offer an EPAP range. It'd be more effective and comfortable. Does your SV Auto have other modes for therapy? Because if it does, I'd be inclined to turn that on. If you're unsure, tell us what settings you see and we can advise.

Hi Dave,

It does offer a range of 10 - 20 for EPAP. I have increased it as suggested by the Crimson. I will let you guys know how it is going.

Thanks, Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
Revisit: I have the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, and it has 3 modes of operation, CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto. I run the ASV Auto as it gives EPAP and PS ranges. Better therapy for me if I've got it this way. If yours does that, it would be worth a try. I don't know what every setting you have available on the Respironics SV Auto, but I can tell what the settings should do if you ID them by name and current setting. I know my ASV and if it's settings are individually optimized it will kill all things apnea. You'd likely get flat near zero apnea period on an ASV like mine. I can help you get yours to the best possible it can get.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SarcasticDaveRevisit: I have the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, and it has 3 modes of operation, CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto. I run the ASV Auto as it gives EPAP and PS ranges. Better therapy for me if I've got it this way. If yours does that, it would be worth a try. I don't know what every setting you have available on the Respironics SV Auto, but I can tell what the settings should do if you ID them by name and current setting. I know my ASV and if it's settings are individually optimized it will kill all things apnea. You'd likely get flat near zero apnea period on an ASV like mine. I can help you get yours to the best possible it can get.[/quote]

Hi Dave,

I have attached a picture of the settings. You can see them on the left side of the image in my initial post of 11 hours ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK copy I'll peek at it again. We posted at the same time there it seems.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 329 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 231 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 168 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 242 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 333 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 168 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.