Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Lot of central apneas at beginning of sleep last night
RE: Lot of central apneas at beginning of sleep last night
Awake breathing is much less regular than asleep breathing. You can notice this during the day, when you are concentrating on something or exerting yourself physically, for example. And in general, if we take a series of deeper breaths, we wash out CO2 and are likely to pause our breathing while CO2 builds back up and triggers the next breath.

If you were lying there awake and uncomfortable, it isn't that surprising that you have CA flags dropping. But please keep in mind that these are not CAs happening during sleep. They should not cause you any special concern.

In two of your posts, you describe falling asleep in front of the TV in the evening. I would recommend changing your evening routine so you don't do this, as it messes with your ability to fall asleep comfortably. Try going to bed when you get sleepy, or moving around more while you watch TV.

Maybe this is a good time to review the general guidelines for good sleep:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes me feel a little better. I mean, last night was MISERABLE, but it is good to know that you have seen worse, SarcasticDave94. I recently purchased a new mask. I have never tried a full face mask that worked for me, even if I shave regularly. I can't get a good seal. I tried to go to nasal masks and I have used a couple, but I mouth breathe excessively and I have tried taping and 3 different chinstraps. I finally saw the Phillips Respironics DreamWear full facemask and have been using it for the last few weeks. If I shave and wash my face, I get a half decent seal. I don't feel excessively oily, but I do clean my mask with wipes daily. I am so frustrated with the leaks. This mask is better than any mask to date, but I still have to try really hard to have a decent night.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK Dave's broken record mask thing, when you are up to getting another mask for the collection, look at Fisher and Paykel. If you're wanting full face, give the Vitera a long look. Very easy to control leaks. If you buy it, I'll tell you how I work my adjustment.

If you want nasal or pillows, they've got those also. Any of theirs would be very good choices.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SWJ "apneas" are caused when you are relaxing and don't take a breath or say when holding breath while rolling onto your side etc. If you are slowly drifitng into sleep and then catching yourself (common if watching tv as mentioned) then you are likely taking a momentary break from breathing each time that happens causing one of these apneas. 10 seconds isn't that long of a period and these machines can't tell when you are asleep so you have to take the flags with a grain of salt (apneas are only apneas if you are actually asleep).

Another thing you can research is sleep transition central apneas as that is what these are if you are actually in sleep stage at this time (although looked more like SWJ). Many people have one or two when falling asleep, some have a little burst of them like your graphs show.

Either way these are nothing to worry about and won't be causing you any symptoms and the only treatment for these apneas is to relax and become more efficient at falling asleep (by following sleep hygiene principles like Dormeo shared).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,514 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 538 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.