Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Lot of central apneas at beginning of sleep last night
Lot of central apneas at beginning of sleep last night
Can someone help me understand what might have caused the high number of central apneas as I was falling asleep last night?  Is there anything in the graphs that can provide some clarity?  I felt horrible last night as I fell asleep on the couch watching TV a few times before the wife and I went to bed.  I fell asleep still feeling off and then I felt like I slept fairly well until I saw the graphs this morning.  I assume I was having some form of apneas.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lot of central apneas at beginning of sleep last night
We would need a 3-minute zoomed view to evaluate. Being where they are I would say SWJ (Sleep Wake Junk) and are fairly common. We mostly just ignore them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does this help?

Post Reply Post Reply
As I suspected, that is an awake breathing pattern.  See how irregular it is.

(edit) It also has a lot of flow limits in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the interpretation.  I still need to do some learning on flow limitations.  From some reading, I thought that had a lot to do with neck position and causing worse airflow.  However, I purchased a few new pillows and have been trying them out.  One of them is a cervical pillow that is supposed to hold my neck in a good position.  I guess it might not be working as intended.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
For descriptive purposes Flow Limits come in two types.
The first is just narrow and restricted airways. We treat those mostly with PS (EPR) and not Flex.

The second is the kinked garden hose type, These are what we call "positional Apnea" or "Chin Tucking". These we typically \suggest a soft cervical collar for. They show via clusters of obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned SWJ during sleep transition, nothing to worry about.

I see a couple things to work on though. As Gideon mentioned there are flow limitations present. The ones during that SWJ are not a concern but the ones later in the night appear to be a possible issue. It looks like you had at least two periods of increasing flow limitation that lead to RERAs (1:50 and 2:20) and possibly more at 5:10 and 5:40.

The two flow limitations at 1:50 and 2:20 had flagged flow limitations that drove pressure up. This did not appear to make flow limitations better and perhaps made them worse. I am not aware of your history and prevalence of obstruction apneas etc but if the data consistently shows pressure increasing due to flow limitations and no improvement at higher pressures then you might be better off lowering max pressure or possibly even using a set pressure. The auto nature of these machines is only helpful in some cases, not all.

The other thing I notice is the large quantity of leaks which you need to get under control. I see your machine is set to full face mask but it appears you are using a nasal mask, N30i. My guess is mouth leaks if using the nasal mask. Everyone is a bit different but I prefer a full face mask because it fixed my mouth leak issue (which is/was due to nasal congestion) and because the F20 is far quieter and less air blowing around than any nasal mask. Other people that prefer nasal masks often tape their mouths or sometimes can get by with a chin strap. Sometimes lowering EPAP can help too (but not if it causes obstructive apneas).
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a rough night last night.  While I was awake and watching TV, I kept dozing off and waking in a panic and felt like I was having apneas even while awake, but definitely upon waking from a very short snooze.  Then I pulled up my report from sleeping last night and this scared the hell out of me.  Why am I having so many central apneas?  CAs scare me.  I can understand the obstructive events and how CPAP can help, but when my body doesn't remember to breathe...not something I am accepting well.  I really want to know why there were so many last night.  I know that you can have some garbage at the beginning of the reports as you are falling asleep, but I can tell you that I was awake for at least an hour with my mask on feeling like I was gasping, so I feel like these are real.  Last night was a rough one.

Look at that AHI graph.  That is ridiculous.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's not a massive amount, and I'd still flag it as SWJ AKA sleep wake junk. For some reason, you have quite a bit of the SWJ for 30-45 minutes after starting to fall asleep. Personally I'd rather you work on leak control.

I've seen other's charts with very bad trainwrecks with CA all over. This isn't it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,666 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,367 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,568 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 202 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 118 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,060 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 628 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.