Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

side affects of using CPAP?
side affects of using CPAP?
Wondering if any CPAP user has gone through what I am experiencing.
I use the ICON with a nasal pad and 10 setting. At some point during the night I wake up and start sneezing. At times I have to sit on the edge of the bed until the sneezing stops. That is followed by nasal congestion which necessitates sleeping on my back. As soon as I get out of bed my nose began to leak. The drainage is, at times, like one gets with a cold. At other times the drainage is a clear liquid. The drainage continues until late in the day, and the process is repeated at some time during the night almost every time I use the machine. Allergy? Caused by air flow?
I also use distilled water and a heated tube.
[/size][/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: side affects of using CPAP?
Sounds like you need to use a humidifier (your profile says you have none), as you are receiving very dry air and your nasal passages react by creating an abundance of mucous.

If you are using a humidifier as indicated in your post, I would opine you should go to your nearest ENT and have it checked out - it could be as simple as the humidity is set too low (or too high, but that is less likely), or it could be from some other form of irritation. An allergy is also possible, but it would not be caused by the CPAP machine, as the filters prevent allergens from passing through the compressor to the patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the Doc says. The only time I start sneezing or coughing is when my humidifier runs dry.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2015, 03:55 PM)sgearhart Wrote: What the Doc says. The only time I start sneezing or coughing is when my humidifier runs dry.

Sounds like he is using humidifier by using distilled water and a heated hose.
I wonder if your just starting to catch a cold or some bug?
Post Reply Post Reply
More humidity is better for most people, but for some people, too much humidity makes things worse, so try less humidity if more doesn't help.

Be sure your air filters are installed and are clean. Also be sure the machine sits in a clean spot with no dust or anything nasty near the CPAP machine. For instance, putting it under the bed would cause it to suck up the dust under the bed. Take the water tank out before moving the machine.

How long have you been using CPAP?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TOM BLANCHARD,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post. Much success to you as you continue and finetune your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Try doing nasal rinses with proper technique at least 1 hr before going to bed. They act as a mild decongestant and don't have any rebound effect later on.

And dial in your humidifier and heated tube settings to whatever is comfortable thru out the night. It may take some iterations to get there.

I use to have a sneeze or two, within 5 minutes of masking up early on, but I got over it by initiating nasal rinses with a Neti Pot, at least 1 hr before bedtime and; by reducing my humidity to 70% from 90% on my PRS1 60 series Auto. Turns out I needed less humidity than what most people need.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest a visit with your doc as not all leaking from the nose is caused by allergies. I am not a doctor but I have heard about other causes of leaking through the nose. At any rate, it won't hurt to have it checked.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had an occasional sneeze to start the night, and I've become really talented at not letting that discharge into the nasal pillows Smile. Sometimes a sneeze happens. I'd just remove the mask and let the sneezes pass. CPAP does an amazing job of clearing the sinuses for me, so let it blow, let it blow, let it blow (sung to holiday music).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 370 3 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 14 271 3 hours ago
Last Post: EasySleep
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 885 7 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 222 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 374 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 858 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  would it matter if you ran a cpap (without humidifier) on its side?on its side snorin2 8 602 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.