Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] MMA on young patient with light apnea (25yo, AHI 11.9)
RE: MMA on young patient with light apnea (25yo, AHI 11.9)
If you are suffereing Apnoea then APAP or CPAP are the only proven therapies. I would avoid surgery like the plague until I had eliminated all medical causes
Post Reply Post Reply
lots of curatives out there for less severe cases, such as MAD....
Post Reply Post Reply
To update everyone on my latest situation, I've meet and discussed with a few sleep-related doctors and professionals (I was introduced to some of these people through common friends, and they were giving me casual (non-medical) advice).

They suggested a number of other tests and considerations that I should make before thinking about surgery.

-Nasal congestion/clogged breathing through nose due to deviate septum: I was prescribed fluticasone (nasal spray), which is commonly used for people with nasal congestion due to allergies. The idea was to clear my nose, and see how much my stuffed nose is contributing to my sleepiness. Another doctor suggested I try those nose strips that marathon runners use.

-Using a nasal pillow: One doctor suggested I try a nasal pillow, for two reasons.
(1) According to this doctor, many people unconsciously adjust their CPAP masks during sleep; which disturbs sleep. A nasal pillow is less likely to leak, and therefore a patient is less likely to have to adjust it during sleep.
(2) Secondly, a nasal mask applies the same pressure to both inside- and outside- the nose; whereas a nasal mask applies pressure only to the inside- of the nose. Therefore, the nasal mask may help open up my congested nose as well.
In particular, this doctor suggested that I use ResMed P10; as it is light and performs well.

-Periodic Limb Movement: My sleep study suggested a PLM of 33. While it is low, one doctor suggested that he will prescribe medication to stop PLM, and see how much better I sleep.

-Sleep rhythm: After pointing out that I wake-up at 10 a.m. and sleep at 2 a.m (I am a graduate student), one doctor suggested I stabilize my sleeping pattern. In particular, he said that I should make an effort to walk 30 minutes each morning after waking up, and that this would help me obtain a better sleep rhythm.

Other considerations
-A number of people have argued that, if I don't feel much better while using CPAP, it is less likely that I'll feel better with MMA.

Again, thank you all for helpful comments and feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal mask covers the nose...nasal pillows mask directs air to the nostrils. I totally agree, and have never needed anything else, even when a sinus infection hit. The pillows mask has always provided a good airway, even when you'd thing congestion should prevent that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
nemui,
I suffered with nasal congestion off and on for over a year before I started CPAP. I also use the P10 nasal pillow mask. In the beginning, I didn't think the nasal pillow would work for me because of the off and on congestion , but it has been just the opposite. Using the nasal pillows has actually helped me breathe better at night.
I have to agree with all the advise you have received here.
I personally would not consider surgery until all other options have been rulled out.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
you say your pressure is 10-12. Is it possible that your Apnea score is much higher during REM and that you are still experiencing RERA (non-scoring events that keep you rousing) and that you need a higher max? Do you know if you are hitting the 12 max a lot at night?

You said that you wake bloated. Is this a gassy bloating from aerophagia, or is it water retention? cpap can cause water retention in susceptible people, and it makes you feel like 20 tons of gravity are pressing down on you (tired)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,429 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 10,971 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  New patient Mach9 7 593 12-12-2023, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Mach9
  RECOMMENDATION REQUESTED - LIGHT THERAPY srlevine1 0 340 07-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Idea [Treatment] Directory of patient-enabling CPAP Treatment Providers EasySleep 12 1,063 04-27-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] Screen Light - how to turn off Hopingforachange 4 2,042 04-04-2023, 01:50 AM
Last Post: zellem

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.