Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Managing flow limitations
RE: Managing flow limitations
(05-26-2021, 07:53 AM)fishfinderG Wrote: Did not have aerophagia which is a pleasant surprise given past attempts at higher pressure.

I'm going to try these settings again tonight.

I agree. You want to be careful that you don't induce aerophagia.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Setting my pressure at Min=7.6, Max=9.2, and EPR=3 does seem to have helped quite a bit with the flow limitations.  I'm now mostly seeing CAs with a few OAs or Hypopneas.  

I tried increasing my Min pressure a little more to get ahead of the OAs and ran into aerophagia so I backed that off.  I guess I'll try a full week or two at these settings to see if I have enough quality sleep to start feeling better.

Post Reply Post Reply
That looks really good! But remember that 1 night doesn't make a trend. Stick with these settings for awhile and see how you feel.

If CA's go up, you can always lower EPR.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been waking up around 5:20AM most days so I bought blackout curtains to see if it was sunrise.  Still waking up earlier than desired and not feeling well rested.

Some nights I have no significant flow limitations.  Other nights I'm still having clustered flow limits with some RERAs.  Is there any good way to figure out what's causing this other than getting a video camera to make sure it's not positional?

And here's a zoom into right before I woke up in the middle of the night.  This happens around 1/2 of the time.  Not seeing anything obvious here other than a long (false?) CA where I took a real deep breath and then a few minutes later had a RERA.

Post Reply Post Reply
It appears that your flow limitation is driving up your pressure. You might be sensitive to the pressure change. Your profile lists a 7-8 range, but the OSCAR report shows a 7-9. Have you considered setting the pressure to a static 8 cm, still keeping an EPR of 3, and seeing if you feel any better?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, I didn't update my profile pressure text after all the advice earlier in this thread.

I used to be at a static pressure but around 7-7.6 and that left me with a lot of flow limitations.  I can try moving it higher at a static value to see if that helps or if I get too much aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try to figure out if you find fixed pressure or a pressure range seems to give you better results then I would try slowly increasing pressure to see if it helps. If no obvious improvement come back to lower pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI continues to be very low (.2-1) but I'm still having a lot of nights where I don't feel well rested.  One thing that I've noticed that I wanted feedback on is a waxing/waning pattern in some of my breathing.  Does this indicate that I should change settings, or is it not a concern?

And here's the whole night showing flow limitations persist, although they are better than when I was at a lower pressure last year.  If I raise the min pressure past 8 I have aerophagia even with EPR3.

I should also note that for the last 4 months or so I've been mouth taping. My wife's sleep was being disturbed by my lip flutters. Those have stopped with the taping.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO Not a concern. I think you are dancing on the edge of having CO2 induced central apnea, often called Treatment Emergent Central Apnea. This means to keep a casual eye on it at this time. It should dimish over time if this is the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been experimenting lately with higher pressures to see if I can improve my sleep quality without experiencing excessive aerophagia.  I've been trying pressures more in the 9-12 range and EPR=0/1/2/3 with mixed success. At lower pressures I see a lot of spikes in my flow rate and video of me sleeping shows lots of tossing and turning.  I had my iron checked and it was fine so I don't think it's PLM.

Last night I tried the n20 Airtouch to see how I liked it compared to the Dreamware Nasal Cushion.  The n20 had small regular leaks, which I don't get with the dreamware, but it also stayed in place a little better and I don't think I woke up at all from the mask shifting out of alignment like I sometimes do with the Dreamware.

I'm curious if this data gives any ideas for where to take my settings or treatment from here?  My flow limitation at these pressures and with this mask are more clustered than what I've seen historically at lower pressures.  I'm taking that as a good thing since it means that I can try to understand what is different during the time when I see the clusters. 

It seems like the flow limitation is happening mostly during REM?  I want to look at increasing EPR from 1 to 2 or 3 to see if that helps but then I would need to bump up my pressure even further and higher pressures are so noisy and sometimes give me aerophagia.  Does this data suggest that I should keep trying higher pressure so I can increase EPR without losing airway support?

Here's the whole night.

Zoomed into flow limitation cluster which looks like REM?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 110 8,692 4 hours ago
Last Post: ewriter
  managing myself stanleyv28 9 216 Yesterday, 03:40 PM
Last Post: stanleyv28
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 8 310 Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 69 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 284 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 266 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 183 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.