Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] May be Too Late for Me Too
Column Title is Misleading
If that's the case, shouldn't the column title be changed from "Max" to "99 percentile" or "99%" (to be in conformance with the "95%" column).  Since SH displays the actual maximum value (different from Oscar) the column title "Max" implies the maximum value and is misleading.

If you're going to use the 99 percentile,  perhaps you should consider displaying a confidence interval, i.e., 99% data will be at or below 820, 95% of the time where the 95% value is the confidence level.  This means data may be out of bounds from 820 5% of the time.

If you run the same test 100 times, 99% of the data is predicted to be at or below 820 for a predicted 95 out of 100 times the test is run.  For the remaining 5 times, the 99% level may be exceeded (5% confidence interval).

Personally, I prefer seeing the actual maximum value rather than the 99% percentile.  Much easier for most people to understand.  Oh well, I don't make the rules.

Thanks for your explanation,
Carl (Tubaman)
"We run as fast as we can.  To get as far as we can.  So that when we finally get there we have that much further to run to get back to where we should have been."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: May be Too Late for Me Too
Carl, we have major rewrite of the UI that will be coming up. All this kind of stuff will be addressed there if it isn't before.
Post Reply Post Reply
I Apologize
I'm sorry about what I've been saying in my recent posts.  My excuse is that the COVID-19 situation has really shaken me up and I'm in a very sour mood because of it.  I won't bother you folks anymore about this, you're busy enough with more important matters.

You've all done a great job with this web site and all the information that has been shared.  I have learned a great deal about sleep apnea over the years from this web site!

Thank you for everything!

Carl / Tubaman
"We run as fast as we can.  To get as far as we can.  So that when we finally get there we have that much further to run to get back to where we should have been."
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not a bother Carl,
Many of the fixes and improvements made in OSCAR were made by our users, such as yourself, with our staff verifying the issue is valid and identifying the code impacted and entering all the details in our issue list.

So keep it up. As I said it is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
My CPAP machine recently started making thumping, clicking, etc., sounds, which are frequently hard to hear but sometimes quite audible.  While none of the sounds has awoken me (I have crummy hearing), occasionally a loud thump will be accompanied by a twitch in the hose.  I suspect this is a pressure pulse when this happens.

My CPAP machine will turn 5 years old in early July (my 1st machine of June 2016 was replaced under warranty when its memory card socket broke).  I'm wondering if these relatively new sounds are an indication of wear and impending machine failure.  My insurance will buy me a new machine when it reaches 5 years, however, I don't want to do this unless absolutely necessary as the data I'm getting seems OK yet.

Should I be thinking about getting a new machine or wait for my current machine to crap out?

Thanks, Tubaman / Carl
Post Reply Post Reply
I would tell you doctor about these noises  (or if there's no doctor involved,  tell the insurance company), because it sure seems like you'll be lucky to reach July.   At the very least, yes, ask for a new one in July!

You don't have to start using the new one till this one stops working, but those noises sound ominous!

bgDeb
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you checked your humidifier?  Make sure is is seated properly.  Sometimes you have to give it a little extra shove.
When was the last time you replaced it?  These noises sound like they are coming from the humidifier or seal.
That may not be the issue, but a good place to check.

Other than that, your machine is 5 years old, and you want to start talking to your doctor about a replacement.  He would have to submit this order to whatever DME you are using.  Insurance/Medicare should have no issue getting a new machine, especially if your doctor tells them it's not working properly and keeping you awake.  Bigwink

When you get a new one, keep the current one as a backup.  Let us know how that goes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea Rose! I have experienced the "thump" on my machine and heard my wife's when the humidifier is loose. It could be you just need a new humidifier chamber. My machine is over 5 years now and due for replacement. I have a spare that I use at our cottage. I just hate the hassle of getting the DME to take action.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Machine Goes Bump in the Night
Thank you!

I'm unsure what to check on the reservoir as it seems quite firm, no visible cracks, no leaks, gasket in position, and installs quite firmly but I shall check it before I go to bed tonight (5/28 to 5/29/2021).  The reservoir also has the "So Clean" tubing connected to it and I don't know what effect that could have, if any.

Maybe if I can find my original reservoir (before "So Clean" machine).  I could try that for a few nights to see if there is any difference.  Good project for tomorrow trying to find it.

Otherwise, 5 years of being used every night could possibly wear things a bit, I suppose.  If nothing turns up with the reservoir(s), I guess a replacement CPAP machine might be in order.

Thanks again,
Tubaman / Carl
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, Resmed has said that ozone cleaners like SoClean void the warranty because they can damage the internals and cause mechanical/material failures, as well as being five years old now. It definitely sounds pretty ominous though, and I'd be looking to get a replacement as soon as you can because nobody needs to be dealing with the hassle of not having a working PAP!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 1,024 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,591 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? ChinaMan 7 1,481 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Too Late for CPAP? OldCoot 67 12,156 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER srlevine1 24 7,682 08-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Too Late? GTOdude 47 10,204 07-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.