Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] May be Too Late for Me Too
RE: May be Too Late for Me Too
Clear airway and central apnea are generally different terms for the same thing. Sleepyhead takes a more conservative view in calling them clear airway as the machine can't really diagnose if the breathing pause is actually due to a central nervous system event. A central apnea occurs when the "breathe now" message from the brain to the lungs doesn't arrive for some reason - either the brain doesn't send it or the CNS doesn't transmit it.

Your machine can tell if the airway is obstructed or clear, but it can't really tell if somethings going on with the brain. It's also the case that some clear airway apneas are false positives.

Your central index of 0.5 is no cause for concern at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
the trigger points may vary slightly, but they are caused by the same thing. Your airway is not obstructed (clear), but you are not taking a breath so central brain stem not trying to breath. We all get a couple of these, some more than others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I had seen it all (as far as my SH data has shown), but today I got something new (see image below).  Between 1100 and 1130 my Insp. and Exp. charts are showing something I haven't seen before.  Everything else appeared as usual, including my pulse-oximeter data.  Should I be worried?
Thanks!, Carl

[attachment=3332]
Post Reply Post Reply
FIrst let me say its good to see you still hanging in there and those numbers are looking nice!
in you chart, that last line that we can't see the title of, shows an interesting red line that peaks right about that same time also. What is that chart line?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a closer look at the flow rate with the inspiratory/expiratory wave forms might be more informative. I wouldn't worry about it until it's not an anomaly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!  I hope the attached picture answers your questions.  I don't know how to interpret the Insp. & Exp. graphs.

[attachment=3333]
"We run as fast as we can.  To get as far as we can.  So that when we finally get there we have that much further to run to get back to where we should have been."
Post Reply Post Reply
we will let other, wiser people chime in, until then my bet would be REM sleep that was more active than usual
Post Reply Post Reply
Without the flow rate line I can't make sense of it. You wouldn't be the first person to fool a CPAP machine about your expiratory or inspiratory time by irregular breathing. The Flow Rate line will show the breath wave form.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3337]
I hope this picture helps.  I enlarged the location where the strange Insp. & Exp. activity ended (roughly in center of picture).  I can see that the flow rate decreased slightly when the strange chart cycles began (does that make any sense?) and the flow rate increased slightly when the strange chart cycles ended (which the attached picture seems to show slightly).

Of course there is always the possibility that my CPAP machine decided to get original with its data collection activity and I am wasting your time trying to figure out what we are seeing.

Thank you again!, Carl
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3342]
Here is another screen grab of the section of the graph showing more of the flow rate, etc.  I thought about what I previously sent and figured this might be a better sample.  Other than that, maybe I upset some of the folks trying to help me and I apologize!  I seem to be very good at upsetting people and I don't mean do it and I mostly don't know when I'm doing it.

I noticed that my flow rate decreased slightly while the strange Insp. & Exp. charts were oscillating wildly so that kind of hints that maybe something was happening with my breathing but I have no idea what that could be.  I tried to duplicate the condition by taking about 10 rapid deep breaths in succession but that didn't work at all (the graphs didn't change from how they usually look).

The past 2 evenings have been normal with no more occurrences of the strange chart data.  Maybe it was some kind of malfunction in the data collection or software (or computer) and won't happen again.  I hope that's what happened.

Thank you for your advice!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 914 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,426 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? ChinaMan 7 1,421 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Too Late for CPAP? OldCoot 67 12,019 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER srlevine1 24 7,585 08-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Too Late? GTOdude 47 10,111 07-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.