Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Mouth filling from inside
RE: Mouth filling from inside
Hello Mike. Good luck to you and your trials using the machine. I don't know about all the technical stiff like EPR, I have limited k owledge so far and only about the Aircurve ASV. However I am also a side/stomach sleeper and use a full face mask, the resmed f10. I find having my face turned down into my pillow actually helps the mask seal and prevent leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
What you describe may be related to the sleep stage you're in.
I'm guessing most of the disturbances, some 4-5 hrs after falling asleep, are while in REM.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is always an option to limit maximum pressure to what you tolerate. While this may allow some additional events, it is often just as effective if the leaks are prevented and you experience less sleep disruption from changing pressure and leaks. If you can identify the pressure where you have the leak problem, and set the maximum pressure to that level, you may find it works better for you and your sense of well-being. As you adapt to the therapy, you may be able to raise that limit. My best guess is that you will be glad you set the limit, and it may not actually hurt your efficacy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2018, 06:46 AM)ycsi Wrote: What you describe may be related to the sleep stage you're in.
I'm guessing most of the disturbances, some 4-5 hrs after falling asleep, are while in REM.
I think you are right because I am usually dreaming when I wake up.

(08-23-2018, 08:22 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It is always an option to limit maximum pressure to what you tolerate.  While this may allow some additional events, it is often just as effective if the leaks are prevented and you experience less sleep disruption from changing pressure and leaks.  If you can identify the pressure where you have the leak problem, and set the maximum pressure to that level, you may find it works better for you and your sense of well-being.  As you adapt to the therapy, you may be able to raise that limit.  My best guess is that you will be glad you set the limit, and it may not actually hurt your efficacy.
Good advise

I was told that my pressures were not high enough and I should try to get rid of the hyponeas.  
I may crank down the max a bit and maybe gradually increase.  Thanks Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply
MInSL,

Are you still using the Respironics Dreamstation?  A while back you mentioned you could exchange for a Resmed.  Just wondering if you did the exchange.   I had a Respironics s9 on loan prior to getting my own machine.  

The algorithms are different and I  as well as many others prefer the Resmed algorithm. 

The differences are the Resmed is slower to ramp up and quicker to ramp down, with a lot of pressure pulses to test the patency of the airway.  I think the pressure pulses are 1cm.   The Resmed is faster to ramp up, and slower to ramp down and they use FOT (forced oscillation technique).  I can't really explain the FOT but it is softer and less intrusive.

The end result for me was lower oressure, less pressure changes and lower AHI and not being woken by the pressure pulses.

I also think that the breathing looses its integrity when we become awake or half awake.

So if you haven't changed, give it some thought.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a Respironics A flex Pro

From what I have read and seen on youtube, it seems like the Resmed algorithm seems more logical for me. I know more people with Phillips CPAPs than Resmed so that is why I am using it but may switch and try the full face mask. I will look to see what people say about it.

Thanks all for the help! Lots of things to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 10:11 AM)mikeinstlouis Wrote: I am using a Respironics A flex Pro

From what I have read and seen on youtube, it seems like the Resmed algorithm seems more logical for me.  I know more people with Phillips CPAPs than Resmed so that is why I am using it but may switch and try the full face mask.  I will look to see what people say about it.

Thanks all for the help!  Lots of things to try.

Take another look at your machine model. If it is Respironics or Philips Respironics, let's figure out if it is the M-Series, System One, or Dreamstation.  There is no A-Flex Pro. All Respironics Pro models are fixed CPAP, and use C-Flex. If the machine is an Auto CPAP, it could still be any of the series dating back to 2004 and will still use Auto and A-Flex in the name. To be honest, The Respironics Auto CPAP is the same machine it was in 1998 with a few additional comfort features. That is why a lot of us think Resmed's approach to improve machines and the response algorithm is so superior.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just happened on this thread while looking for posts addressing the "chipmunk cheek" phenomenon. I'm a relatively new CPAP user (4 1/2 months) who has gone back & forth between full face and nasal mask (both Respironics Dreamwear). I think partly because of my face configuration ("crevasses" in chin, etc.) it's almost impossible to get the full face adjusted such that it won't wake me up with leaks at one or more points during the night, and AHIs are often poor. With the nasal mask and mouth taping, I have a comfortable mostly leak-free fit and consistent AHIs under 5 (I have mixed apnea, so there are always a few central events). But even at lower pressures, especially during light or REM sleep, cheeks-puffing-out will often wake me two or three times a night, making it hard to keep the mask on until regular wake-up time.

I have a naive question about the tongue-suck technique, to be sure I understand how it needs to be done properly. Basically, it's placing tip of tongue behind front teeth, then creating a partial vacuum by just sucking air from the mouth (not involving the chest or diaphragm at all) such that about the front 1/3 of the tongue is up against the roof of the mouth? And then holding that position with very light muscular pressure while breathing in and out?

Also, does anyone combine mouth taping with chin strap, or is that overkill? I haven't tried a chin strap--the mouth taping is pretty straightforward, and the Somnifix strips are extremely comfortable and easy to manage (though a lot pricier than 3M tape). But if there's a strap that really holds the mouth closed and keeps cheeks from puffing out I'd give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2018, 10:53 AM)Creosote Wrote: I just happened on this thread while looking for posts addressing the "chipmunk cheek" phenomenon. I'm a relatively new CPAP user (4 1/2 months) who has gone back & forth between full face and nasal mask (both Respironics Dreamwear). I think partly because of my face configuration ("crevasses" in chin, etc.) it's almost impossible to get the full face adjusted such that it won't wake me up with leaks at one or more points during the night, and AHIs are often poor. With the nasal mask and mouth taping, I have a comfortable mostly leak-free fit and consistent AHIs under 5 (I have mixed apnea, so there are always a few central events). But even at lower pressures, especially during light or REM sleep, cheeks-puffing-out will often wake me two or three times a night, making it hard to keep the mask on until regular wake-up time.

I have a naive question about the tongue-suck technique, to be sure I understand how it needs to be done properly. Basically, it's placing tip of tongue behind front teeth, then creating a partial vacuum by just sucking air from the mouth (not involving the chest or diaphragm at all) such that about the front 1/3 of the tongue is up against the roof of the mouth? And then holding that position with very light muscular pressure while breathing in and out?

Also, does anyone combine mouth taping with chin strap, or is that overkill? I haven't tried a chin strap--the mouth taping is pretty straightforward, and the Somnifix strips are extremely comfortable and easy to manage (though a lot pricier than 3M tape). But if there's a strap that really holds the mouth closed and keeps cheeks from puffing out I'd give it a try.

Creosote,  once you get the tongue in the right position and are able to keep it there, the tape will be innecessary.  Until then, continue to tape if you like.

Interms of the tongue technique, everybody is a little different.    The best way to test your tongue placement is, with the machine on and masked up, put your tongue in position and open your mouth.  If your tongue is in the correct spot, for you, no air will es ape your mouth.  If air does escape, move the tongue back or higher to get your seal.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Will test this tonight, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,169 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.