Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Mouth leaks
Mouth leaks
Air curve 10 vauto shows good nasal mask fit (Smiley face).New to bpap. 
Resmed results for past four days (only started four days ago show increase of leaks 
16/24/32/28 L/Min. Will this effect my AHI which is just under 5.
Will a full face mask help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leaks
(02-27-2018, 12:11 PM)Timrtomr Wrote: Air curve 10 vauto shows good nasal mask fit (Smiley face).New to bpap. 
Resmed results for past four days (only started four days ago show increase of leaks 
16/24/32/28 L/Min.

The frown face lets you know for sure you're in leak trouble, but the smiley face alone doesn't assure you that all is good.

You need to look at your leak rate graph for extended periods of time when your leak rate might be elevated, indicating mouth leaks. Mouth leaks can ruin a night's sleep leaving you more tired during the day than you might otherwise be. In other words, getting your leak rate under control can improve the quality of your life.

Quote:Will this effect my AHI which is just under 5.

AHI cannot be determined accurately when the leak rate is above 24 L/min.

Quote:Will a full face mask help?

Try one to see if it works for you. It may be what you need. Some people try a chin strap or soft cervical collar or both first, and only when that's not successful do they try the full face mask.

Starting out with a full face mask is scary. But if you have managed to adapt to a nasal mask then it makes the transition to a full face mask pretty easy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is better to look at your charts, but those leak levels seem acceptable though high.  It depends on how long and how high over the "acceptable" leak.  It is entirely possible that a smaller leak is unacceptable to you for comfort issues.

Just being elevated indicates leaks, the shape, somewhat flat on top indicates mouth leaks which is why the charts are important.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input..
Post Reply Post Reply
If your AHI is 5 I wouldn't panic about the leaks.
You could try get them down a bit to improve your AHI, but I wouldn't panic at the moment.
You might get the AHI down a bit, but if it stays like that I would be happy if you got it down to 5.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 41 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 143 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.