Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] My Doctor Didn't Check For Compliance
My Doctor Didn't Check For Compliance
I moved to a new state a few years ago and had to find a new sleep doctor. There is a local neurologist, in network, that specializes in sleep disorders. First time I saw him he took the data from my ResMed S9 sdcard, and made sure my prescriptions were renewed.

Second time I went back I saw the nurse instead. The nurse had no idea about compliance, nor what the sdcard data was all about. He didn't check for compliance. I thought that was odd.

Now I'm scheduled to go back for my third visit and my insurance says I'm due for a new CPAP machine if I want one. After my last visit, I'm not sure I'm seeing the right guy. He should be able to write me a new prescription. I guess I should call ahead and ask about it.

My last neurologist was very adamant about checking compliance.

Anyone else have experiences like this? Should I change doctors?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Doctor Didn't Check For Compliance
My understanding is that the insurance companies are only really concerned about compliance for the first 90 days (correct me if I'm wrong). It's easy enough to check for compliance either on the machine's screen or software such as Oscar, ResScan et al. Or you can just ask the patient how it's going. Perhaps your guy did this without making a song & dance about it.

So my question to you is "How is it going"? Do you get refreshing sleep? Do you use the machine regularly? What's your normal AHI? Why is your machine still set to 4 - 20 cmH2O when a narrower range is typically more efficacious for most people?

Do you really need a sleep doctor other than for a prescription?
Post Reply Post Reply
"Compliance" only has meaning in the insurance coding and reimbursement industries for the most part.

If you are using it and it's working, why would you care if they checked "compliance"?

Unless it's theater.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I'm a little concerned that my new doctor is just giving me the fast-track checkup to get me on my way and collect the insurance payment for the office visit. I'll go in next week with a bunch of questions. The last doctor I had before I moved would always check the data off the sd card and comment on my compliance and how the data looked.

Overall, I'm doing well. The ResMed never got any adjustments since I got it about 5 years ago. My AHI for the last six months is averaging 3.51. I'm sleeping a lot better than before I got it. I was lucky to average 4 hours of sleep per night before treatment. I think I could do better though.

My plan is to ask my new doctor some specific questions and see how he answers. If I'm not satisfied, then it's time for a change. We'll see.

I'm having an issue with the OSCAR import now and I just posted on the Software forum.

Looking forward to being active on these forums.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're not alone. My doctor never asked about data in the 10 years I saw him. The last 3 years I've seen the nurse practitioner. She's a little more interested but not in much more than my AHI. I mentioned bringing my SD card and was told she had no way to read it.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Since being past the compliance stage, my pulmonary doc only asks how my ASV is working for me. He also checks my COPD status and inhaler meds at that time. He doesn’t concern himself with my ASV settings, yet he’s aware I control my own.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My recommendation is to advocate for yourself. Use your APP that comes with your machine, OSCAR and maybe a Fitbit. This is what I use. You will learn more as you use this forum from folks with lots of experience. I found that my "care givers" didn't really care too much, nor were they very helpful or knowledgeable. (My NP tried to put me on drugs to fix my "sensitivity" to using the machine,Y OTHER OPTION,) I refused and started looking at options. Turns out my fixed pressure was not strong enough, so was torture. I woke up every hour. I had been an excellent sleeper before CPAP. I asked for a variable pressure and it began to make all the difference. Anyway, long story short, if you are have good results, continue to use your APP and Oscar to see how you are doing. If you have a good AHi and you are sleeping well, you are doing just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,723 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 251 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 525 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I check if my ClimateAir actually heats up? NoddingHacker 1 174 02-06-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 331 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.