Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] My S9 machine has a setting called Easy Breathe -- what is it?
Question 
My S9 machine has a setting called Easy Breathe -- what is it?
I cannot find a definition of "easy breathe" -- one of my setup parameters.

When set to "on" the rise time setting is grayed out.
When set to off, the rise time is variable; and defaults to 300.

Anyone know where I can find this ResMed term defined?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My S9 machine has a setting called Easy Breathe -- what is it?
Have you checked the manual, I don,t know about VPAP Auto setting but the easy breathe based on the autoset EPR easy breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My S9 machine has a setting called Easy Breathe -- what is it?
Easy Breathe setting controls how your VPAP changes the pressures from IPAP to EPAP and back.

I'm working from memory here and I may not have all the details correct. But here's what I remember about Easy Breathe from when I was still using an S9:

When Easy Breathe is set to On (the default), the actual pressure level delivered at the mask has a characteristic "wave" shape that "rounds" the transition between EPAP and IPAP as well as controlling when the pressure starts to drop. The Resmed advertising for both the S9 AutoSet with EPR and the S9 VPAP talk about the "Easy Breathe" technology and they are (almost) the same.

When Easy Breathe is turned Off, there is a "sharper" corner to the pressure curve caused by the machine increasing the pressure when the inhalation is detected. And the Rise Time setting controls how rapidly the machine will increase the pressure from EPAP to IPAP once the start of the inhalation is detected. The Rise Time setting is probably measured in 1/1000ths of a second. So the default Rise Time setting of 300 means that it would take the machine about 3/10s of a second to increase the pressure up to full IPAP pressure once the start of the inhalation is detected.

With Easy Breathe turned ON, the pressure curve will look something like this:
[Image: 54fc2138d9da9965b54969381f68354b.jpg]

With Easy Breathe turned OFF, the pressure curve will look more like this:
[Image: a8468855a610e70fdf0763bca7358570.jpg]
Note that with Easy Breathe set to ON, the transition from EPAP to IPAP is smoother (no sharp corners), but the pressure starts to increase ever so slightly sooner. The Rise Time setting controls how long it takes to go from the corner in the curve to the peak pressure at the top of the wave. (The red lines drawn on the curves in both figures are at the same point in the breath cycle; also this picture shows how the pressure adjusts automatically on a VPAP Auto in response to snoring or flow limitations that are not shown)

Note: These pictures were posted on another forum a long time ago when I and another poster (a sleep tech) got into a long, thoughtful, and very educational thread about the differences between how the Resmed S9 AutoSet with EPR set to 3 increases the pressure for each inhalation vs. how the PR System One BiPAP increases the pressure for each inhalation. They feel very different to me, and I am in the minority of people who do NOT find the Easy Breathe pressure wave very comfortable because I notice that subtle increase in pressure and it makes me feel like the machine is rushing me to inhale before I'm ready to.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,206 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 861 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 265 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 389 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,800 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.