Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] MyAir "events per hour"
RE: MyAir "events per hour"
Wait, the MyAir "events per hour" can be different than the AHI. Remember that guy a few weeks ago?

Make sure that it is reporting daily, not average or monthly. Else the AHI and the Events Per Hour will be different.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Williams, even without software, your machine will tell you what is going on. First let's be sure that your on-screen data is fully enabled. You need to access the clinical settings by pressing the control knob and home button at the same time. After a few seconds the Clinical Menu will be avilalble. Go to settings and scroll down to Essentials. If it is set to ON, enter the menu and reset it to PLUS. With that you can exit the clinical menu. Now your on-screen therapy data will show AHI, average and 90% pressure and the AI (apnea index), OAI (obstructive apnea index), CAI (central apnea index) and HI (hypopnea index). We need to know that breakdown. If you are having a lot of CAI relative to the other apnea / event types, then CPAP may not be your solution. We can go from there, but something else we need to know is what your EPR (exale pressure relief) setting is. It will be a number between OFF and 3. Also, would help to know your average pressure based on on-screen data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The upper door holds an SD card, could you please look and see if you have one.  If not get one, a small (2GB) cheap one will work, bigger is ok.

You will take teh SD card to the computer with SleepyHead on to read it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, this is only your second night. The data is rather useless at this point. You are looking for trends, not night to night data.

Keep watching it and see what happens. Check to make sure the reporting information is daily and not monthly.

You have time to do the SleepyHead thing if you choose to. Just get used to everything.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is reporting daily AHI. The index for the two nights were 18.4 & 18.6. I know that it's only been two nights, but I expected the AHI values to be immediately lower than my sleep study values. Otherwise, what is the point of suffering through mask discomfort and near sleepless nights? The mask fit has been an issue because of my large acromegaly head and facial structure. Admittedly, this is my frustration coming out, but I do appreciate your help.

Thank you for the info on the clinical menu. I will try it again tonight and then search for the values that Sleeprider suggests. Will post them tomorrow after work. Thank you, again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Williams,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know all of this can be overwhelming but just stick with it; you have come to the right place for guidance.
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting it dialed in to better meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
No, not necessarily. The doc probably erred on the side of caution and gave you a slightly lower than necessary treatment pressure. Plus your body and brain has to get used to everything. Then add in mask and mouth leaks and the data is still not ready.

Just like with nearly every medication, there is a waiting period. Some medications take just an hour to start working. Some need a few weeks. But they do all work. Same with CPAP. Some folks hook up and hit that sweet spot immediately. Some do not. Give it time.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, last night was much better and I hope it is the new normal! I made some changes before bed including a new pillow, increasing the humidifier, and tried to work on the mask fit. I also cheated and took an Advil PM, but don't plan to do that routinely. My AHI was only 4.3, I slept better (not all night but better), and I was able to keep the mask on for 7 hours. There were fewer leaks and the pressure seemed to remain <10 which helped to keep the mask on. Overall, I woke up with a better feeling about treatment which really did help my mood and outlook. 

Tried to get the values listed by Sleeprider, but my machine did not have them all. Here is what I found:

AHI - 13.8
Avg pressure - 14.5
Total AI - 12.6
CAI - 2.4

Couldn't find 90% pressure, OAI, HI, or EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Williams, with an average pressure of 14.5, your apnea events are primarily obstructive. This is useful information. Either you need higher minimum pressure, or you might be someone that benefits from positional therapy. By that I mean, many people experience airway obstruction as a result of the position they sleep in. Especially if your pillow or sleep position causes your head to tilt in a way your chin moves towards the chest, you might experience airway obstruction. This might be resolved by an ergonomic pillow, or better with a soft cervical collar. If you opt for the collar, you are looking for a relatively loose fit, about 2-in more than your normal neck circumference, and an inch shorter than the length of your neck from the notch below your adam's apple to your jaw. This can prevent chin tucking and mask leaks as well. Consider the difference in your respiratory effort if you let your chin drop towards your chest, as opposed to your normal position with the head upright.

There are basically 2 solution to your high AHI, increased pressure, or airway protection. What EPR level are you using. An average pressure of 14.5 with EPR at 3 is still 11.5 pressure when it counts during exhale. The Resmed does not return pressure to IPAP until you initiate a breath, so if you obstruct at the end of exhale due to a low EPAP pressure, that can be a problem. Finally, my normal recommendation at the end of your first 7-days of therapy would be to move the minimum pressure to the mean or median pressure. You are currently at a minimum pressure of 8.0, but you spend most of the night at 14.5 or greater. A higher pressure is probably in your future if positional therapy does not resolve the problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One week in and after the first two nights of AHI around 18, they seemed to have improved to around 4-7 each night. I am still working on getting an SD card and finding a computer to download sleepyhead.

However, I woke this morning with a nickel-sized blister between my eyes. To this point the mask only caused small red marks on either side of my nose, but they weren't painful and lightened throughout the day. This new blister hurts and is embarrassing. It looks like a huge target in the middle of my face. So, I have two questions:

Why would it happen randomly after having no visible signs of irritation in this spot all week?

Should I continue to use the mask or wait until it heals?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 178 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 772 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.