Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has 'mild sleep apnoea' been redefined numerically?
RE: Has 'mild sleep apnoea' been redefined numerically?
Ok now Asjb... You're in France, Sleepster's in Texas -- the twain shall never meet. He meant no offense.

So how about let's just reset this discussion?

When last I checked in with you, I suggested you increase your minimum pressure just a little. Did you do that? What are your results looking like now? Please update us with your latest statistics and we can go from there.

The only thing any of us want around here is for all of us to succeed.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 10:18 AM)Asjb Wrote:
(05-23-2015, 09:00 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-23-2015, 04:21 AM)Asjb Wrote: Please could you explain why a first step to try and improve my continuing symptoms on CPAP treatment would not therefore be to start with trying to find a pressure setting that achieved an AHI of less than 5?

I agree that tweaking your pressure to try and get a lower AHI is the thing to do. That's what your doctor is doing. What I and others are saying is don't freak out because your AHI is a bit above 5.

Dear Sleepster,

You have clearly never met me. It would be accurate to say I have never <freaked out> about anything in my life...

It can be rather discouraging to ask something on this forum as a <newbie>.

I think I may not bother again.

Perhaps I should have instead said don't be disappointed because your AHI is a bit above 5.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2015, 05:34 PM)retired_guy Wrote: [quote='Asjb' pid='114236' dateline='1432147312']
...and if you haven't already, tell the ramp feature to go away.

I did that, and I have had two nights of 0.0. My min pressure is 5, and ramp was 4, so... yeah, exactly.

Post Reply Post Reply
@JV - your min 5 EPAP is like if I had a start pressure of 6, seeing that your PS=1. My machine type counts pressure by IPAP, and EPAP + PS = IPAP. Congrats on AHI of 0!

@ASJB - Sorry to hear you are still uncomfortable with the current level of well-being. As it happens, the AHI you are experiencing is also suboptimal. There are some patients consistently under AHI of 1 and still have unrested feelings and insomnia. It is safe to assume there is something else that is at play in those cases.

I have done many little adjustments that were intended to get me consistently below AHI of 5, but I have been only mildly successful. In my case, the feelings part worked out well, so I don't feel I need to hurry through the process. This week I had 4 nights under 5, and a weekly average of 4.82. Last week I had 3 nights under 5, and a weekly average of 5.07. Three weeks back I had 6 of 7 nights under 5 and an average of 2.54. So I am only about 60% successful.

I think there is high potential that PaytonA's comment may be more to the point in your case. Hypopnea (as the machines record it) seems to be directly related to flow reduction, not to obstruction. Why you have hypopnea is still in question. To me, the results you have shared suggest to me the hypopnea is an indication of non-OSA. For this reason, your idea of going to CPAP of 9 seems like a great place to start, or similar to the retired guy's suggestion - trying a band of 8 to 10 cmH2O with an EPR of 2.

A screen shot of a recent night with flow and pressure (and I would add FL flow limitations to it) would help us answer the great hypopnea question better.

Hope you soon gain the success in well-being you need and deserve.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 04:21 AM)Asjb Wrote: Please could you explain why a first step to try and improve my continuing symptoms on CPAP treatment would not therefore be to start with trying to find a pressure setting that achieved an AHI of less than 5?

I agree that tweaking your pressure to try and get a lower AHI is the thing to do. That's what your doctor is doing. What I and others are saying is don't freak out because your AHI is a bit above 5.

I think Asjb's point is that the doc is not doing anything to try and improve the treatment. Asjb is still symptomatic and the AHI could stand some improvement so why (other than mental laziness) is the doctor not taking any action at all.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2015, 03:37 PM)PaytonA Wrote:

I think Asjb's point is that the doc is not doing anything to try and improve the treatment. Asjb is still symptomatic and the AHI could stand some improvement so why (other than mental laziness) is the doctor not taking any action at all?

Oops. Sorry, guess I hit the wrong button.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,061 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 494 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mild OSA, fractured sleep - looking for advice rozlt 1 334 01-01-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Frequent wakeups with mild OSA -- help me interpret OSCAR? mcrick 6 699 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: mcrick
  Mild Clear Airway - Advice CharlieNow 16 1,301 11-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CharlieNow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.