Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Need help for self titration (DS Auto BiPAP) - CA's waking me up while falling asleep
RE: Need help for self titration (DS Auto BiPAP) - CA's waking me up while falling asleep
Tayy, I've been following your thread with interest. You've done a lot of excellent problem-solving, and I hope that some additional experiments will help you find settings that leave you feeling more rested.

At the same time, it's worth looking at other factors that can affect the quality of sleep. You may be among the sizable percentage of the adult population that needs at least 8 hours of sleep (which will take more than 8 hours in bed). In addition, you might review the guidelines below. I have to confess I ignored some of them for a long time, then finally started observing them, with good results.

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help for self titration (DS Auto BiPAP) - CA's waking me up while falling asleep
(05-23-2021, 10:20 AM)Gideon Wrote: First your numbers are beyond good they are excellent, so remember these settings and writ them down, they are a safe place.  if/when you change settings and they don't feel right change them to your safe settings, and your safe settings may change over time.
Next, do not chase numbers, you are beyond that.  It is ok to have worse numbers if you feel ok, if it is more comfortable.  We are looking for a more comfortable sleep.

That said I suggest some experimentation.  Make a change in settings, then see which feels better, the current settings or the changed settings.  Note I did not say look at the settings.

first trial, increase both IPAP and EPAP by 1 cmw.  Then evaluate by feel, which is better and why?

Thank you Gideon! I wrote down the settings.
I increased IPAP and EPAP by 1 yesterday. I woke up a few times and I removed the mouth tape in the middle of the night because I drooled over the tape. Rolleyes
After that, I woke up because my mouth was leaking, but I still tried to sleep. I woke up with a headache, which I am still having right now.
I have to say that I slept in another room, so I have to test it a few more nights.

I have an AHI of 1.89 now, with a few hypopneas. I'll watch this for a few days.
I don't chase numbers, just want to feel better and have asked in my last few posts because of my frequent arousals.
Also, I think the CAs will reduce again, when I don't wake up so often.

I just added three (more or less random) screenshots.

(05-23-2021, 12:56 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Tayy, I've been following your thread with interest.  You've done a lot of excellent problem-solving, and I hope that some additional experiments will help you find settings that leave you feeling more rested.

At the same time, it's worth looking at other factors that can affect the quality of sleep.  You may be among the sizable percentage of the adult population that needs at least 8 hours of sleep (which will take more than 8 hours in bed).  In addition, you might review the guidelines below.  I have to confess I ignored some of them for a long time, then finally started observing them, with good results.

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

Thank you Dormeo, this is motivating.
In the last few weeks I spend several hours on apneaboard to learn more about all this stuff.

I actually don't know why, but I often can't even sleep 8 hours.
I guess the biggest problem for me is to stick to a strict plan when I should go to sleep and when I should wake up.

- Biggest problem, definitely.Three days per week, I am now in home office and two where I have to go to work.
When I'm working from home, I wake up about 1.5 hours later (but also go 1.5 hours later to sleep) than when I have to go to work.

I never felt really sleepy, just extremely exhausted.
I think I completely forgot how to feel really sleepy because I never felt refreshed after waking up (and consuming too much coffee, but only until 1pm).
In the last days, I am now starting to feel the "tiredness" more than before starting treatment. This is what I meant in my last posts.

I never thought that the mask/pillows would help me with that, but it feels like a relaxing bedtime routine.
I just have to put the pillows on and a few minutes later I fall asleep.

This another problem but I am using bluelight blocking glasses since two years now.
It seems to help.

This is definetely a major problem for me, I have to really take this serious and try to stick with it.

I'm already following the other guidelines.
Thank you for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
What helped me with turning off devices as bedtime approached was to be sure I always had a book I was enjoying ready to hand. That way I could just read old-style before bed.

In the Overview section of Oscar, there's a chart called Session Times. It might be a little motivator to see whether you can get the tops and bottoms of the bars to line up.

And like you, I find that getting my gear on is a bedtime routine that cues sleepiness. We are creatures of habit! And it's changing habits that can be hard. Good luck with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much.

The reason I thought it was still a breathing problem is because I've never slept through the night for the past few years.
Not even when completely drunk, stoned (or both), or on promethazine or seroquel (not doing anything of this anymore).
At least I think I could have slept for at least one night without a break. Of course it wouldn't have been a refreshing night.

The only time I felt refreshed in the last years was after narcosis because of a surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 118 Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 165 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.