Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New CPAP user desires lower AHI suggestions
RE: New CPAP user desires lower AHI suggestions
It may help to get a minimal type mask like a nasal pillow. If you are having a problem with side sleeping and your present mask is becoming displaced when sleeping on your side. There are quite a few out there.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do.  Thanks for your reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Tex! Before Fred wrote the soft cervical collar wiki, I wrote the Positional Apnea Wiki. I don't care if you're on your back or your side, positional apnea (chin-tuck) can happen http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea This is so easy to solve. The soft cervical collar can both prevent these clusters, and train you not to have them. One of the early members I recommended the SCC to was Melman who continues to use it to this day. Many of our members use this aid, and have experienced impressive results. Don't judge until you try it, and you need it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,
Yeah, the cervical cushion sounds like a good investment.  I'll quite possibly buy one in coming days.  Your encouragement is appreciated. 

In answer to Stacey.....  I am using the full mask because I have periodic nasal congestion (allergies and deviated nasal septum).  I may at some point try the nasal pillows.  I think someone (bonjour?) had written the cpap pressure of his nasal pillows  just pushes through the congestion.  Maybe it would work for me as well.  
Thanks for the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
That was me, and it isn't easy. It has taken me up to 15 minutes, but once the breakthrough occurs it is always for me clear sailing through the night. You will likey swear that this will never work, I do that too, but it has always worked.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have "powered through" congestion. I have been using nasal pillows with no backup for 12 years, and have never missed a night. It's not because I don't have allergies, get colds or even sinus infections. It can be a struggle from time to time, but I have never missed a night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have that problem but when it is really bad I use Afrin.  I never use it for more than 2 nights in a row.  A less effective but you can use longer is Flonase.  I try not to use any but some nights I do.  both are over the counter.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. I'm familiar with both flonase and afrin.
I was prescribed flonase (daily use for allergies) probably 30+ years ago when it was priced around
$75.  Hadn't used it for a lot of years until recently when it came out in generic form at Walmart
for around $12.  So,  I use that daily now.  I use a generic Afrin as well if I'm congested when retiring
at night.  You're right that you can only use that Afrin several consecutive days before it starts
causing congestion,  not relieving congestion.  Thus, my purchase of the full face mask over the
nasal pillows mask.   But now that bonjour has told me congestion may not be a definite deal breaker
for using a nasal mask,  I may purchase one,  and try it out....... and have the full face mask for a
backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
We are talking specifically about nasal pillows bein able to apply pressure in a way that opens nasal passages and relieves even severe congestion. I have used mine through colds allergies and even sinus infection.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry if this sounds more like a medical - instead of Cpap advise.  But I have found it a great help if congested to use a "neti pot" to clean out the congestion.  Really it is a squeeze bottle of salt water solution (they sell it in a kit).  I use that filling it with warm water and salt mixture, I use 1/2 bottle to a full bottle to keep doing it until clear.  Then give it a couple of minutes and use the Flonase.  Works great for me. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 5 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,504 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,045 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,020 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 253 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.