Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CAHI [How to determine the number of Central Hypopneas]
RE: CAHI [How to determine the number of Central Hypopneas]
"several entries seemed to indicate that it is not possible to distinguish obstructive and central events."

to reiterate, virtually all machines distinguish between obstructive and central apnea, although the asv (resmed at least) does not. to my knowledge few if any machines distinguish between obstructive and central hypopnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CAHI [How to determine the number of Central Hypopneas]
Welcome to the forum.
A heads up on centrals.  First I'll provide specific guidance for your case after you post your OSCAR charts (see the organize link in my sig for what to display.) Get a copy of your prescription, you will need it for years to come.  And get FULL copies of your Sleep Studies, not just the summaries, but the tables and charts that make up the details.  Very often those details contain important information about your apnea, especially where Central Apnea is concerned.  And please. y post redacted copies of your sleep studies, we will help you with what they say.

Treatment of Centrals is typically to Lower Pressure and lower the difference between inhale and exhale.  CPAP, APAP, and BiLevels without backup (timed breathing) cannot treat Centrals so the strategy is to avoid them. An ASV is designed to treat Centrals, and a BiLevel with Backup (ST) can also but is (the ST) a better machine for other conditions. 
You may see an issue above, Obstructive events are treated by increasing pressure and/or increasing PS, the difference between inhale and exhale.
We will get much more into the details once we see your Sleep Studies, and / or daily OSCAR data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 608 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,527 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,408 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 235 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 214 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.