Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New Member, Former DME/Respiratory Tech
RE: New Member, Former DME/Respiratory Tech
(01-26-2013, 12:51 AM)fenderplayer69 Wrote: after 3 months, I was not feeling much better at all. The AHI was avg. at 1.5 and my pressure would auto set at 19.0- 20. During this time, I talked to several people on therapy as well as an RT I have known for 20 plus years. We all thought that BIPAP might be a MUCH better fit. The physician agreed. He prescribed a S9 VPAP Auto from Resmed. I LOVE this machine. I have had more 6-7 hour nights since I have had this machine. I love that it has a mask leak alarm, and a lot of other settings.

Hi fenderplayer69,

Thanks for bringing us up to date. Very good to hear how things are getting better for you. Congratulations on your success getting a machine that suits your needs better.

Your profile says you are not using software to look over your data. If that is still correct, then I would like to encourage you to work on getting yourself set up to use ResScan or SleeyHead to look over your sleep data at least weekly. Or even, just copy the SD card onto your computer each week, so in future you will be able to look at the data, after you eventually get yourself all set up to look at it, which I hope you will.

The datacard in your machine keeps some data for a year, some for a month, and "high rate" data of the pressure and airflow only for the most recent 7 days, so if you don't download at least weekly you will be permanently losing a portion of your data.

If you start looking over your data regularly, you will gradually gain a deeper understanding of whatever sleep problems you are having. Looking closely over your high rate airflow data may prove especially helpful in optimizing your treatment and health.

This is a case where what we don't know CAN hurt us, if by not becoming familiar with our sleep data we are remaining unaware of problems which need to be brought to the attention of our doctors.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fender,
Good thing you're an RT otherwise you'd be much worse off.
If I were you I would get a wearable pulse oximeter like the CMS50-F
Just as a cross check.
By comparing the S9 charts with the blood oxygen saturation levels on the charts you can make with the CMS50, you may even discover that you can get by with a lower / more comfortable pressure.
It also gets you a read out on your heart rate too during events. (great for exercise programs too)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers!

=^.^=
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fenderplayer69,
Thanks for posting your update and sharing your story about the DME you were with as it will be helpful to others who are going through the same difficulty. GREAT to hear that you are having success with your S9VPAP.
CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well-done I am pleased you joined this Board although I wish you didn't have to but as you know from your past many of us have OSA! I was glad to hear you went to the higher ups to take care of your prescription! Your experience as a past DME etc. will probably be a very good asset to this community and others who run into trouble like you did! Welcome This is a great community, I have learned a lot and the members have helped me tremendously with information and what to say when I needed an AutoPap! It took a bit but once the prescription was in hand I was set-up in less than 24 hours! It took several DME's to find one who was willing to upgrade me to the AutoPap although my script was written "Dispense as Written". I couldn't believe the responses! One DME never even called me back! Glad to hear your new machine is treating you well! Bouncy
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2013, 12:51 AM)fenderplayer69 Wrote: I had to set it up to adjust the humidity and the temperature.

Hi FenderPlayer69! I like your Strat! I have one too.

Ultimately, everyone has to figure-out and set their own humidity level and hose temp since everyone has a different preference as to how much humidity they like, there's no right or wrong here, I like 5.5 since it keeps my sinuses from getting stuffy and my hose temp is set to 82 to prevent rainout from such a high humidity level.

What was seriously wrong was the fact that she didn't try to show you how to use the climate control features or how to use them in manual or auto mode.

(01-26-2013, 12:51 AM)fenderplayer69 Wrote: The reason I am going into all of this is that I am a STRONG believer in taking control of your treatment.

You're in the right place, this is the Mission Statement for ApneaBoard.com and the reason it's the best place for information about how to do so!

(01-26-2013, 12:51 AM)fenderplayer69 Wrote: This is one thing wrong with the US today, Customer Service seems to be a thing of the past, and that makes me CRAZY!!!

You said it!

I've noticed the problem seems to have started in the '90's but the since latest generation doesn't know what good customer service is the problem is only going to get worse until these people start to realize exactly WHERE their paycheck comes from - not the company they work for but from the customers that buy things from their company.

I hope you were at least able to get your know-it-all RT fired for being so belligerent with you, she deserves to be unemployed!

Sleep-well

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 10 1,250 03-15-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 233 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 328 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Can respiratory effort be inferred from OSCAR data? alienfrontier 1 224 02-02-2024, 09:22 PM
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 486 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 996 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 679 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.