Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you get up straight away? Lie in? or sleep some more?
This poll is closed.
I usually get up straight away
43.48%
10 43.48%
I usually lie in but don't need to sleep any more
30.43%
7 30.43%
I usually lie in and need to sleep some more
26.09%
6 26.09%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do you get up straight away? Lie in? or sleep some more?
Question 
Do you get up straight away? Lie in? or sleep some more?
Hi All

Interested to know what others do:

Most mornings I switch off the machine, then remove the mask and am ready to get up and go.

Sometimes I think I am finished sleeping , then switch off the machine, remove mask and have to lie in to allow my breathing to adjust or "catch up". Wondering if this normal?

Sometimes when I do this I fall asleep without the PAP therapy for an extra 30 - 60 minutes or more.

What do others do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do you get up straight away? Lie in? or sleep some more?
I have the bit of insomnia so it seems like I rarely get enough sleep. Mostly I get out of bed very slowly.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually I get up shortly before 7 am to feed the cat. After that I may have a very light breakfast. Then it's back to bed for some more sleep (with CPAP)! Does eating something cause me to feel more sleepy? Probably -- diabetes has its effects.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually get up right away. If I try to fall back asleep once awake, I just toss and turn, so there is no point in laying there.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back in the days when I had to commute, I'd usually jump out of bed and start my day. Now that I am fortunate enough to work from home, saving me a 45 minute commute, I find myself rolling over and getting another hour of sleep.

Another interesting question is, would you be comfortable sleeping without your CPAP? I would not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Being 74, getting out of bed is predicated on the need for the bathroom!  Oh-jeez   Under normal circumstances, I'll pull the nook from under the pillow and play some games to get the mind activated, else it's a trip to the loo and then staying up for the rest of the day.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
The last few months or so, I get up at about 6 - 7 am to make a trip to the bathroom. When I return to bed, I go w/o my CPAP. 

We are usually always out of bed by 9 am. I do try to get as many hours in as possible using my CPAP. I make sure I meet my compliance requirements. 

I sleep as well w/o my CPAP as I do with it. If I feel the need for a late morning / early afternoon nap, I take one w/o my CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually get up,   slowly,   and start doing my morning things,    check my weight,   get laptop and start looking at OSCAR, and later ,  Resmed scores, start putting the scores on my low-tech large paper graph, so that I understand it better....     When my sweetie brings coffee, we sit in  bed, pet our dog, do our morning readings.
I rarely go back to sleep after taking off my mask, as I don't like waking up with a headache.     That was the question, wasn't it?!    This is a new good habit that I am working on.    So I give myself a small sticker star on my graph, when I use my machine all night.      
Thank you for asking.   Good question.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow we have interesting different morning routines which I did not anticipate would affect the poll results.

I suspect that as my response to xPAP therapy improves I should be able to get up sooner after waking up.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I suspect that on the days when I switch off the machine, remove mask and have to 'recover' or even get some more sleep then this means that either I had a bad night or I can still improve my xPAP therapy settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a night owl who gets to sleep between 0100 and 0200 hours pretty much consistently.  I tell myself that I don't get the 'recommended' numbers of hours of sleep, and that I must be deprived.  However, I awaken very consistently after between 5:50 and 6:40 of sleep...whether I need it or not.   Getting the seven hours that the ex-spurts say is needed doesn't seem to jive with what my body tells itself is sufficient.

To answer, I tend to get up as soon as I have had the six-ish hours.  About one time in four or five I try to get another few winks, and about one in five times of those I actually fall asleep another hour or so.  I seem to catch up those times.  The rest of the times I try for a lie-in, I just day dream until I remember a matter that needs addressing, upon which the jig is up and I have to sit up.  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,318 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 793 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Can posture cause UARS? Should I go straight for CPAP? frigid 2 566 07-21-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: frigid
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 986 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 678 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.