Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New Member- Need advise on ongoing therapy
New Member- Need advise on ongoing therapy
Hi all,

Diagnosed with severe OSA (RDI at 122 events/hr during sleep study)  and prescribed a Bilevel machine. Got a dreamstation auto bipap and just had my first night with it and I can say that it's been the best sleep i've had in years. 

Current settings are:

IPAP: 22
EPAP: 16
I'm very happy to find out about this forum and my thanks to all the people that made OSCAR.  Thanks  I thought that I would be forever "chained" to my DME and doctor in treating my OSA. 

Attached are my OSCAR graphs. Would appreciate any advise on how to improve these results.

Thanks,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member- Need advise on ongoing therapy
The numbers look great, I wouldn't change a thing based on your numbers. Your leaks are not a problem but keep an eye on them.

What is important now is how you feel. You said "it's been the best sleep i've had in years", Any negatives in how you feel, and please be specific.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fred.

On the negatives, I woke up (on an alarm) feeling a little bit groggy. I don't know if this qualifies as a negative but I thought this was because I slept straight through the night without waking up to pee (which I usually did at least once every night).

Also, a few minutes after waking, I had runny nose and a spell of sneezing. Was this because of the humidifier?
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Fred, but will reserve judgement. Except for the first half-hour of your night, the settings were at the minimum EPAP of 16 with PS 2. Most of your AHI was related to the obstructive events within 15 minutes of starting therapy. It may be you can tolerate lower pressures, and higher minimum PS, but I'm unclear on the issues being treated. Your respiration rate of 26 BPM is high, with a fairly low tidal volume, but resulting in pretty high minute vent. I don't know what leads to such high breaths per minute, but I suspect we don't know everything yet or why you are being treated with BiPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2019, 08:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I agree with Fred, but will reserve judgement. Except for the first half-hour of your night, the settings were at the minimum EPAP of 16 with PS 2.  Most of your AHI was related to the obstructive events within 15 minutes of starting therapy.  It may be you can tolerate lower pressures, and higher minimum PS, but I'm unclear on the issues being treated. Your respiration rate of 26 BPM is high, with a fairly low tidal volume, but resulting in pretty high minute vent.  I don't know what leads to such high breaths per minute, but I suspect we don't know everything yet or why you are being treated with BiPAP.

Thanks for your thoughts Sleeprider.

Would posting the results of my sleep study help?
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Post Reply Post Reply
It can't hurt. Your events were completely clustered in the first 20 minutes, and I suspect you may not have even been asleep at that time. Really, everything looks very good here, and you called the therapy comfortable, so I should probably not raise concern with the issues I pointed out as they really are not something we look at unless there are issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider and Fred for the responses!
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,058 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,335 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.