Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New Member seeking help with Resp. settings
RE: New Member seeking help with Resp. settings
By the way, I don't expect a diagnosis on this necessarily but I'm just wondering if perhaps it's something you may have encountered before. It could even be common for all I know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, here are the latest results with your new suggested settings, dmeRT. I couldn't be happier! This was especially wonderful to find after writing my last post and spending that night awake watching my father sleep. He was apparently very overtired despite the sleep improvements.

I will see if I can attach both 6/1 and 6/2. If not, I'll just post last night's 6/2.

Again, thank you both, and I hope I haven't lost you with my ramblings.

Does the breathing rate seem high to you?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BrettC, 

Download is looking good, especially with the CA's.  The respiratory rate is what it is, just don't set the backup rate that high... Big Grin .   I'd probably just keep things where they are and discuss with the doc.  good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just guessing and giving my thoughts..... The 32 bpm breathing rate may be exhausting him. His tidal volume is over 500, so it seems the bipap is getting enough air moving each breath and it is mostly spontaneous with little back up.

I'm also wondering if the reduced PS has anything to do with it? it may all be a coincidence and why I would seek medical support

He has a high minute vent of 16 and respiration of 32. Do you have a finger o2 meter? does he have a high pulse rate?
I don't think I would wait 2 weeks with this, I would get medical advice from somewhere. I'd call his doctor or an emergency department, or a walk-in doctor, tell them the numbers and ask. He may need a change in meds. supplemental o2 may be an option.

I don't know what insurance your dad has, but I have a diabetic friend in the US without good insurance, she uses walk-in blood labs for her blood tests. they could do a blood gas test. it seems they are heavily discounted
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2017, 12:05 AM)dmeRT Wrote: Hi BrettC, 

Download is looking good, especially with the CA's.  The respiratory rate is what it is, just don't set the backup rate that high... Big Grin .   I'd probably just keep things where they are and discuss with the doc.  good luck.

Thanks for staying with me, dmeRT. Do you have any suggestions for aerophagia? The whole reason I began making adjustments in the first place (and for joining this forum) is because of all the air my father was swallowing. I had read elsewhere online that lowering epap may help but in his case, the CA's went nuts so it wasn't a good move. So, despite the progress it looked like we were making, last night, he never slept because whenever he'd begin to fall asleep, he'd swallow a bunch of air which would wake him up. Any help or ideas you have would be much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry, can't help with the aerophagia...

maybe use the ramp feature for when he is trying to fall asleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't want to cause you concern, but if you look at the chart, your dad is maxing out at 50 BPM for a significant period, not just a one off spike. If your insurance will allow, he really needs to be in hospital to be stabilised and what I expected from contact with ER or any medical doctor. Second best is to bring in what medical care you can. I think this is well past getting advice from a forum.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,380 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  [Equipment] Seeking advice for reset of time zone richapple 0 195 02-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: richapple
Question Seeking Advice/Help reddie 6 392 01-24-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 496 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.