Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New User Seeks Guidance
RE: New User Seeks Guidance
That one central looks to be CO2 induced.
The study results, without CPAP??? Would tend to indicate ideopathic central Apnea.

BTW in general 10 minute views are better to evaluate the character of central Apnea.  By character I mean potential cause.

CO2 induced breathing pattern occurs when CO2 is flushed out of your body to near (shallower breathing) or below (central Apnea event) your apneic Threshold.

'CO2 induced  Central Apneas are typically reduced o er 2-3 months of CPAP use as your body adapts to lower CO2 levels.  Your doctor will want you to wait those 2-3 months before looking for other ((ASV) solutions, so would I.      Sorry I haven't reviewed your history.  During that period of time you want to maintain a small amount of centrals as an indicator of low CO2 to let your body adapt and drive down your apneic threshold.

Post some 10 minute views of your Central Apnea so we can determine the character of your centrals and this better advise you on your path forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2021, 08:36 AM)Gideon Wrote: That one central looks to be CO2 induced.
The study results, without CPAP??? Would tend to indicate ideopathic central Apnea.

BTW in general 10 minute views are better to evaluate the character of central Apnea.  By character I mean potential cause.

CO2 induced breathing pattern occurs when CO2 is flushed out of your body to near (shallower breathing) or below (central Apnea event) your apneic Threshold.

'CO2 induced  Central Apneas are typically reduced o er 2-3 months of CPAP use as your body adapts to lower CO2 levels.  Your doctor will want you to wait those 2-3 months before looking for other ((ASV) solutions, so would I.      Sorry I haven't reviewed your history.  During that period of time you want to maintain a small amount of centrals as an indicator of low CO2 to let your body adapt and drive down your apneic threshold.

Post some 10 minute views of your Central Apnea so we can determine the character of your centrals and this better advise you on your path forward.

Yes, the lab sleep study was without CPAP. 

I am now only 50 days on APAP, so I am hoping that your theory comes to fruition - that my body will adapt to lower levels of CO2, reducing the Centrals.  I have posted a 10 minute view of last night, per your suggestion, and look forward to your further comments.  Thanks much, Gideon.
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion is that if/when the doctor looks at your therapy trends and results thus far, he or she will conclude the therapy is doing fine with controlling Apnea. It is under 5 AHI. According to what I predict doc will say also that probably sleep hygiene or something other than PAP therapy is in need of improvement to diminish the several sessions.

With the diagnostic showing nearly 50% Central, but not equal, they are likely to believe ASV isn't necessary, especially since the therapy is fine to them. Again now it's under 5 AHI, which is almost always all they look for and care about.

Where does this leave you? Take some time to reflect on your therapy. Is it acceptable as is, in helping you sleep better, more of well rested status, is it comfortable? If yes, then the fight is over and continue to use your AutoSet. If no, then first action is getting a big stack of symptoms and complaints, stressing not well rested status achieved, not comfortable enough treatment, forced to take naps, that the concern that therapy may not be addressing enough despite under 5 AHI, maybe is in need of improvement for better, more consistent results for CA, may be improved with ASV and maybe can address multiple sleep sessions, and whatever else you can state isn't working well due to what you believe is less that ideal or optimal treatment. And maybe you have to edit settings for therapy to prove incapable of dealing with CA.

So the bottom line is, to you is therapy currently enough or not. Consider doing this also, answer the question is therapy doing enough now in these two ways, with all the data from OSCAR and diagnostic, etc. and without consideration of any form of data and just how you feel. What answer do you have, same for both or not.

Last thought for now, if you look over your CA trends, do keep in mind that CA are always consistently inconsistent. They will always be a roller coaster of up and down unless ASV fixes it. Despite this statement, do the above steps to determine ASV necessity. Feel free to post questions. But the above mentioned info is really a necessity to decide ASV or not.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2021, 11:59 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: So the bottom line is, to you is therapy currently enough or not. Consider doing this also, answer the question is therapy doing enough now in these two ways, with all the data from OSCAR and diagnostic, etc. and without consideration of any form of data and just how you feel. What answer do you have, same for both or not.

Last thought for now, if you look over your CA trends, do keep in mind that CA are always consistently inconsistent. They will always be a roller coaster of up and down unless ASV fixes it. Despite this statement, do the above steps to determine ASV necessity. Feel free to post questions. But the above mentioned info is really a necessity to decide ASV or not.

Thank you again. At present, my therapy has definitely helped reduce multiple difficulties for me, including daytime sleepiness has lessened; nocturia (excessive nightime wakeups to pee) have been cut by almost half - my urologist initially suggested that this would be helpful to me; and I believe even my blood pressure has been helped by APAP therapy.  However, it always could be better, and I would like to see more normal, unfragmented sleep sessions, further nocturia improvements, and no falling asleep at night in front of the TV. I agree that I should give it a little more time, as Gideon suggested, and see how this journey proceeds. 

Whatever I do, I will now be armed with the right information, mostly thanks to the team on this board that has advised me( and there have been many of you). This entire process is empowering, and a lesson pertaining to health care in general. Do not rely upon the medical experts without taking a proactive role for yourself. I have learned so much in the last 30 days. The scope of knowledge and experience is so impressive. The willingness to delve deep is visible. The Oscar software and team is also amazing. When I first approached this apnea game, it was daunting. I now feel more in control, and many of the mysteries are gone. I am thankful to be on this board. You provide an outstanding service to people that really need the help. You should feel proud!   I am going to excerpt (and duplicate) this tribute paragraph as a new thread -- a thank you to all of you, so that others on this board, who feel the exact same way, can see this. I will also be making a donation to this board.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to drop in and say hang in there. Keep listening and learning.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2021, 05:07 PM)factor Wrote: Just wanted to drop in and say hang in there. Keep listening and learning.

Thank you so much, Brent. Great to see people like you who have made so much progress.  I'll keep working at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a 1 hour and 10 minute view.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Brent,
OSCAR uses facilities donated by AB to conduct our work. It is treated as completely separate from AB and has different 'rules' as determined by the OSCAR team.

Thank you for your compliments.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2021, 06:40 PM)Gideon Wrote: Thank you Brent,
OSCAR uses facilities donated by AB to conduct our work.  It is treated as completely separate from AB and has different 'rules' as determined by the OSCAR team.  

Thank you for your compliments.

Gideon, 
Thanks for the clarification.  That is important to know re: the Oscar team. 

BTW, I am not Brent. Sorry, I was thanking Brent for his comments in my post, and it looked as if it was his signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2021, 03:51 AM)Sleeper396 Wrote: BTW, I am not Brent. Sorry, I was thanking Brent for his comments in my post, and it looked as if it was his signature.
@Gideon

Sorry for the confusion.  Factor = Brent = Factor

I just was doing some Cheerleading for @sleeper396.   Thanks

I to will be making a donation soon.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 4 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 134 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 167 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,380 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 6 496 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Treatment] UARS With BiPAP - Looking for Some Guidance Sleepy541 2 413 01-07-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy541
  Programme change guidance to eliminate apneas FijiFarmer 1 245 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.