Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New in this forum. Need help to understand the graphs and adjust therapy
New in this forum. Need help to understand the graphs and adjust therapy
Hello:

My father was diagnosed with osa 16 years ago.
His AHI was 51 at that time. Most of them were obstructive and no centrals.
For different reasons he had to go through a sleep study this year but couldn't because of the coronavirus stuff.
He has been using a Remstar CPAP machine which was set at 7,5 . No idea about the AHI level he has been having till very recently but he continues falling asleep everytime and everywhere...
We asked the doctor and  he recommended to go through this sleep study and to increase the pressure to 9 in the meantime. 
We changed from the CPAP to the Autoset, so we started setting up the pressure from 8 to 12.
First nights there was a lot of mouth/mask leakage and the AHIs readings were around 20, 25...
He slept last night with a chin strap and the AHI was better (about 10) but told me it was very unconfortable. So this night he is going to try to tape his mouth and see what happens.
I assume we will have to make trials with different chin straps, soft cervical collars and so on in order to bring this AHI down.

But I'm most of all concerned about the centrals should we go lower with the maximum pressure just in case?
The central apneas events do look like real centrals, right?
Last night there was little leakage and still a lot of centrals and hipopneas. 
If we reduce the maximum pressure to, say, 10 then the AHI will go higher because he spent most of the night at a pressure of 12
Could you please give me advice on what should we do next?

Many thanks in advance,

Santi

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New in this forum. Need help to understand the graphs and adjust therapy
Hi Santi123!  -  Welcome
Your chart shows a high flow limit.  A Resmed will interpret this as a need to increase pressure.  The pressure seems to indicate that he might be sleeping on his back and then possibly turning to the side.  I would recommend that he try sleeping on his side and avoid sleeping on his back.  Normally I would recommend that you use the EPR setting to reduce the flow limits but with the CA's listed, I would try adjusting the sleeping position first.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Crimson:

Thank you for your quick answer. You are absolutely right, I forgot to tell. 
My father can only sleep on his back because a problem with his spine.
So I'm afraid we cannot change his sleeping position.

Thank you.

Santi123
Post Reply Post Reply
One big difference in the 2 charts is the extremely high leakage in the 2nd chart. You can NOT have any therapy until you control the leaks. The top had 1/2 fewer events because of less leaks. Did you change masks? What was different between the 2 charts?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your graphs are dated April and May. Do you have anything recent to post?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2020, 03:38 PM)staceyburke Wrote: One big difference in the 2 charts is the extremely high leakage in the 2nd chart. You can NOT have any therapy until you control the leaks. The top had 1/2 fewer events because of less leaks. Did you change masks?  What was different between the 2 charts?

Thank you so much for your answer!
Both charts are from consecutive days. The one with less leaks is the one corresponding to the night that my father wore a chinstrap
This was the only difference.

Santi123
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2020, 03:53 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Your graphs are dated April and May.  Do you have anything recent to post?

No, sorry. 
My mistake! 
I wrote the date in the spanish way, so the graphs are in fact from yesterday and the night before yesterday: two consecutive nights
The only difference is that he used a chinstrap in the night dated September the 5th

Santi123
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, thanks for clarifying.

It will probably be trial and error. You could bring the maximum pressure down to 11cm. You are bumping your max of 12cm now, but that is due to the flow Limitations driving the pressure up. We generally use EPR to help with Flow Limitations, but using EPR can also cause more Clear Airway.

If you do decide to try EPR, set it to 1. If you see an increase in CA, turn it back to off.

As far as leaking, he will have to find what works best. Hopefully, the taping will work better.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many times chine straps don't work very well, but it seemed to be much better with than without.  You might want to look at the links at the bottom in my signature - for a collar.  They seem to work well.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for your comments and advices!
Good to know that EPR would help if he had no centrals.

We will make a little bit of trial and error in the coming days and see what happens.
And I think it's also a good tip to try with a cervical collar.
I have been reading in the main forum different threads and it's worth a try.
I will follow the directions of those links when choosing a collar.

Thank you so much!!!

Santi123
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 67 1,179 2 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 857 9 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 579 Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 480 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 531 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 811 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  OviBerger - AC11 Therapy OviBerger 3 105 04-09-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.