Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Sudden change in symptoms... Help!
RE: Sudden change in symptoms... Help!
(12-09-2022, 06:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Klaviarchic, please post some zoomed images so we can see the wave-forms of the respiratory rate.  Usually including only 3 to 4 minutes of data will let us see the wave form. Respiration is very unbalanced and it is clear that inspiration time is now longer and flow limitation is present.  The solution to this is not higher pressure but more pressure support (bilevel).  Canada has unfortunately limited therapy options for most of its citizens.  What happens at lower pressures?

Hi Sleeprider, 

In September when I was at lower pressures, I felt very air hungry. I would wake up with my throat fully closed and gasping. Now it's more I wake before my airway closes fully?? The lowest pressure I've had since Oct 1 is 15. It's been fine until two days ago. Sad 

Attaching four sections. The first is at 1 am, lower levels, with pressure hovering between 15-16. When I woke a few minutes later it felt like the machine wasn't increasing or giving enough pressure. Settings were still at 15.4-20.

2 am I had increased pressure to 16-20. Still felt like not enough pressure.

3 am - increased again to 18-20. I did sleep for four hours after this without waking (that I remember).

9 am - tried to go back to bed. Pressure still felt insufficient and I didn't last very long because I was waking every few minutes. Maybe I'll try 18-20 tonight and see what happens. 

I have to say I'm getting quite frustrated with what services are offered here! I've wondered if I need a bilevel machine before, if only because they have higher pressure options... do you know if am I better off to order a bilevel online rather than go through a DME in Canada?

Attaching 9 am

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a lot of erratically paced and sized breathing in these charts and some flow limits are showing up. Bilevel is really the only option if you need more inspiratory pressure support or assist along with the higher pressure. If interested and affordable, Supplier #2, Secondwind CPAP has a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto for $859 USD. This company has a good reputation for support and service and has been a go-to for our Canadian neighbors and other international members. In addition to offering increased pressure support and overall pressure, the Vauto has controls to increase the trigger sensitivity for inspiration and time of inspiration controls which might be helpful to you. I'm pretty certain that your problem is not total pressure, but that you may benefit from pressure support to reduce CO2 which is likely the source of any "air hunger". With your current Airsense 10, I think EPR 3 will be more helpful with your high pressure to help with better air exchange.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2022, 10:27 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: There is a lot of erratically paced and sized breathing in these charts and some flow limits are showing up.  Bilevel is really the only option if you need more inspiratory pressure support or assist along with the higher pressure.  If interested and affordable, Supplier #2, Secondwind CPAP has a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto for $859 USD.  This company has a good reputation for support and service and has been a go-to for our Canadian neighbors and other international members.  In addition to offering increased pressure support and overall pressure, the Vauto has controls to increase the trigger sensitivity for inspiration  and time of inspiration controls which might be helpful to you.  I'm pretty certain that your problem is not total pressure, but that you may benefit from pressure support to reduce CO2 which is likely the source of any "air hunger".  With your current Airsense 10, I think EPR 3 will be more helpful with your high  pressure to help with better air exchange.

Hi Sleeprider,

Thank you very much for this information! I will definitely look at the source provided. Financial concerns are such that for the moment I’ll try to change the EPR setting first, but so appreciate having an option to consider.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, 

Sleep has not been good for the last month; sleep does usually happen, but I am frequently waking up and do not wake well rested, despite AHI being normal. It's like I wake up before even a hypopnea registers. I have replaced everything possible on my machine - hose, mask, filter, water chamber, some several times. The EPR change did help a bit, and definitely helped with daytime difficulty exhaling! 

Last night was quite bad with constant waking and feeling like there's no pressure support. I'm getting a bit desperate. The pressure seemed okay upon going to sleep, but halfway through the night it seems like it's not enough anymore. Just before I gave up for the night it felt like I had no pressure so put it up to 20 set pressure but throat would still close off even while I was still awake?! Just tried going back for a nap and the same thing happened. 

I've attached two events from last night. 

I have learned that it is possible to get a level 1 sleep study and have started the referral process with my doctor but I'm afraid it may take several weeks to months. I'm very worried about how it's possible to function on no sleep while waiting for an appointment.

Any insights are appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also including overview of last night, an event and overview of one week ago where the AHI was similar, but sleep did not feel as disturbed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there!  I would suggest seeing your pulmonologist asap.  Also prrhaps a neurologist if you're having any central events?  I was having centrals five years ago.  Didn't bother to figure out what was going on but now I'm being evaluated for breathing weakness secondary to possible neuro disorder.  And yes I have collapsing airway too.  Better safe than sorry!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your response. I did see a pulmnologist on Thursday, actually! She’s a bit stumped bc my AHI is so low (last few nights it’s been zero. Doesn’t feel that way!!). More tests coming, including the level 1 but the wait here is 3-6 months. ?

I hope things are resolvable and treatable for you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 217 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 96 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 115 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 355 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 322 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,938 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.